*The National Action Network of Los Angeles, a leading national civil rights group founded by Rev. Al Sharpton calls for a national boycott of hip hop superstar Kanye West new clothing line featuring the confederate flag symbol.
Why? “Kanye West already has several pieces of merchandise from his Yeezus tour that are emblazoned with the controversial Southern Cross at his tour store in Los Angeles. Our organization is determined to shut down that and any other store that decides to sell this merchandise. For African-Americans the confederate flag is symbolic of the hurt and pain of slavery in the South and the legacy it has left for those still living under those ideologies. When Kanye embraces and adorns this confederate flag, He also embraces the ignorance and racism that goes along with it.” I challenge Kanye West to create a clothing line of merchandise featuring swastikas if he’s sincere about his beliefs . But we all know Kanye doesn’t have the courage to do that. The Jewish community would run him out of town if he did and so should the African American community,” stated Najee Ali political director of the Los Angeles National Action Network.
“Kanye West selling jackets with the Confederate flag on them is a disgrace and embarrassment. many of our ancestors were brutalized, kidnapped , raped, and murdered during slavery under this flag. Its inexcusable for West to be promoting and merchandising this flag. Were determined to boycott and shut down any other stores that attempt to sell this merchandise, stated Rev K.W. Tulloss President National Action Network Los Angeles
The Rev. Al Sharpton: “The Confederate flag symbolizes dehumanization, injustice and pain. It is a stark reminder of an era in our history that was defined by the abhorrent practice of slavery. And it is representative of a mentality that looked upon blacks as inferiors who needed to remain in the shackles of subservience.”
Press Conference to Announce Boycott of Kanye West
Date: Tuesday November 5, 2013
Time: 2:00pm (Pacific)
Location: National Action Network:
2828 West Jefferson Blvd. Los Angeles CA 90016
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Khloe Kardashian Doesn't Believe in Divorce, Still Getting One Anyway
- Ex-Cop Sues NYPD for $100M Over Abusive Boss & Former Lover
- 'Roots' Star Anika Noni Rose: 'We Need To Hear About Our Holocaust' [EUR Exclusive]
- Kelly Rowland Talks Beyonce, Being 'Psycho' Mom, Her Mother's Death (Watch)
- Are Micro-credentials the Next Best Thing for a CV? (Infographic)
- Tamar Braxton Fired, BET Award Nominations, Madonna Prince Tribute and More! | BHL's This Week
- TV One Renews Docu-Series 'Rickey Smiley For Real'
- NBAer Richard Jefferson’s Reckless Spending Caused Loss of Millions: Ex-Manager
- Vivian Green Releases Music Video for 'Grown Folks Music'
- Black Greek Lesbians Hijack Traditions of Omega Psi Phi
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here