*Los Angeles, CA – A Los Angeles jury today concluded that Jabari Jumaane, an African-American firefighter who has been with the Los Angeles City Fire Department for 27-years had been the victim of racial discrimination, retaliation, and a hostile workplace and awarded him $1.1M.
The verdict came after 16 days of deliberations and a 7 weeklong trial in LAFD firefighter Jumaane’s racial discrimination, harassment, and retaliation lawsuit against the city.
Jumaane, who is Black, said that his captain falsified performance evaluations under the direction of his then battalion chief which set him up to be subjected to serious discipline which included excessive and unreasonable reprimands and two suspensions.
“We are grateful to the jury for this historic verdict which clearly indicts the Department and the City for its systemic discrimination and retaliation against Black fire members which it has condoned and perpetuated for decades,” said Jumaane’s attorney Nana Gyamfi.
“I am grateful that the jury was willing to look at the evidence presented during this case and render the only reasonable verdict,” said firefighter Jabari Jumaane. “This verdict will allow us to further address institutional racism within the Los Angeles City Fire Department.
In February, Jumaane will celebrate 28 years with the Los Angeles Fire Department.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- For the Brothas: Nadkins ... Wet Naps For Your ... You Know
- Zendaya on Her Fears, the 'New Cool' and Obsessive Photoshopping
- Civil Rights Leaders Call for 'Lunch Out' of Pre Oscar Ceremony Luncheon
- James Franco to Direct ‘Zola Tells All’ Based on Stripper Twitter Saga
- James Brown Previews Super Bowl Pregame Show: 'It's Only 4 Hrs As Opposed to 7'
- Jill Scott Wins Big at 47th Annual NAACP Image Awards
- Kim & Kanye Fought Over Wiz Khalifa Rant and Wendy Williams Dis?
- 47th NAACP Image Awards Announces Winners of Non-Televised Categories
- Filmmakers Say 'Kung Fu Panda 3' is 'Perfect Premise For Creating Comedy' [EUR Exclusive]
- Ne-Yo’s Ex-Fiance Moyetta Shaw Posts Pics With New Millionaire Man
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here