*Director Lee Daniels said he decided to come out as gay when he was a teenager in an attempt to upset his abusive father.
The filmmaker has spoken candidly about his troubled relationship with his police officer dad William, who was killed in the line of duty when Daniels was 15.
In a new interview with Out magazine, the 53-year-old reveals the extent of the violence he suffered at the hands of his father, explaining he was regularly beaten for acting effeminately and was even dumped in a trash can when he was caught wearing a pair of his mother’s high heels.
The director admits he told his family the truth about his sexuality to get back at his father.
“When I came out it was because I loathed my dad so much,” Daniels said. “I couldn’t understand how you could, with an extension cord, beat a 45-pound kid just because he’s aware of his femininity.”
However, Daniels insists the trauma he suffered as a child molded his vivid imagination, likening himself to the abused teen in his acclaimed 2009 movie “Precious.”
“For me it really created a world where I understood Precious, where you learn the power of the imagination,” she said.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Minor League Baseball Team to Honor Prince in Special 'Purple Game, Purple Game'
- Taraji P. Henson Among Honorees at Women in Film’s Crystal + Lucy Awards
- Dwayne Johnson to Play Action Hero Lead in ‘Doc Savage’
- Pres. Obama Edited to Sing Rihanna’s ‘Work’ (Watch)
- Rapper Troy Ave Pleads Not Guilty in T.I. Concert Shooting
- Jack Hanna Agrees '1,000 Percent' with Killing of Gorilla Harambe (Watch)
- Prince Sets Billboard 200 Record More Than a Month After Death
- Damon Dash’s Son "Boogie" Arrested for DUI
- The Socialist's Journal/ The Prodigy: Esther Okade Taking College Courses at 11?!
- Robertson Treatment Syndicated Column (RTSC): PRINCE IN CINEMA - Remembered by the AAFCA
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here