*Director Lee Daniels said he decided to come out as gay when he was a teenager in an attempt to upset his abusive father.
The filmmaker has spoken candidly about his troubled relationship with his police officer dad William, who was killed in the line of duty when Daniels was 15.
In a new interview with Out magazine, the 53-year-old reveals the extent of the violence he suffered at the hands of his father, explaining he was regularly beaten for acting effeminately and was even dumped in a trash can when he was caught wearing a pair of his mother’s high heels.
The director admits he told his family the truth about his sexuality to get back at his father.
“When I came out it was because I loathed my dad so much,” Daniels said. “I couldn’t understand how you could, with an extension cord, beat a 45-pound kid just because he’s aware of his femininity.”
However, Daniels insists the trauma he suffered as a child molded his vivid imagination, likening himself to the abused teen in his acclaimed 2009 movie “Precious.”
“For me it really created a world where I understood Precious, where you learn the power of the imagination,” she said.
- Byron Jackson Brings 'DeSean Jackson: Home Team' to BET (WATCH)
- Diddy May Catch Break in UCLA Case, but Could Lose Liquor License
- Ava DuVernay References 'Black Panther' in Support of Bree Newsome
- S.C. Legislature Has Votes to Remove Confederate Flag; KKK to Rally at Statehouse
- NBC Wants Minority Host to Replace Trump on ‘Celebrity Apprentice’?
- Seahawks WR Doug Baldwin Goes Viral with Anti-Confederate Flag Post
- Report: Tyga Fails to Pay 50K Offered to Squash Underage Sexual Battery Lawsuit
- Lee Daniels Signs Overall Deal with 20th Century Fox TV
- Brittney Griner’s Ex Glory Johnson Reveals She’s Having Twins
- NBC Fires Donald Trump Over Racist Comments
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here