*No, that’s not Storm from “X-Men.”
It’s Mary J. Blige as a blonde afro-wearing angel in director Kasi Lemmons’ upcoming holiday film, “Black Nativity.”
The story, first conceived by Langston Hughes in 1961 as an annual church pageant, gets a Lemmons-penned plot for this urbanized version. A young single mom (Jennifer Hudson) in Baltimore who struggles to make ends meet is forced to send her child (Jacob Latimore) to live with her estranged parents (Forest Whitaker, Angela Bassett) in New York City.
Blige’s angelic character pops up in a montage mixing Whitaker’s Christmas Eve sermon with his napping grandson’s dream of a Bethlehem in Times Square. In one scene, Blige’s angel hits up an outdoor basketball court to sing about the arrival of baby Jesus, commanding a chorus of inner-city shepherds to follow her to the manger.
…And in that wig, white leather maxi-coat and stiletto boots, she’s hard to miss.
“I loved it while I was wearing it,” Blige said of the wig, during interviews for the film last weekend. “It’s Kasi’s perspective of what she believed this angel should look like, so I’m just wearing what they told me to wear. But of course, people [see set] pictures and are like, ‘Ooh, Mary got a new platinum wig,’ thinking it’s my hair. And I’m like, ‘No! This is not what I’m doing!’ But it was cool for the character.”
Below, Mary tells us the type of roles she’s looking to play in future…and more importantly, the roles she hopes to stay away from.
“Black Nativity” hits theaters on Nov. 27. Watch the trailer below.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Erica Campbell: 'I Didn't Takeover' Yolanda Adams' Radio Slot [EUR Exclusive]
- Mike Epps Shows it's Never Too Late: Graduates High School at 45
- Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton Declares May 23rd ‘Beyonce Day’, Then Lightning Strikes
- Serena Williams Pulls Off Series of Mind-Blowing Tennis Trick Shots (Watch)
- Researchers: NFL and 'Police Academy' Star Bubba Smith Had CTE When He Died
- Paris Jackson Inks Dad’s ‘Dangerous’ Album Cover on her Arm
- NBA Taps ‘Champion’ From The Roots as 2016 Finals Theme Song (Listen)
- Wow! 67-Year-Old Former Harlem Drug Dealer Graduates from Columbia (Watch)!
- Carmen Electra on Prince’s Death: ‘I Just Hope People Understand What Pain Is’ (Watch)
- VH1’s ‘Hip Hop Honors’ Returning to Salute the Ladies
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here