*Budding superstar driver Darrell Wallace Jr. recently became the first African American to win a national NASCAR series event since Wendell Scott’s victory back in 1963.
Looks like Hockey is all they got left. Then again, you remember what Chris Rock said during one of his stand-ups, ” As soon as they make a heated hockey rink, we’ll take that s*** too.”
The 20-year-old (yes, 20) phenom has become a household name overnight and may be the catalyst for a new generation of minority drivers. Wallace discussed his historic win last week on NBC Sports Network’s “SportsDash,” telling host Dave Briggs that competing and winning in a predominantly white sport has come with a litany of challenges.
“It means everything,” Wallace said of his victory at Martinsville Speedway. “To go out there and just do the best that I can is all I can do.”
Throughout NASCAR’s history, there has been an ongoing shortage of minority participation. However, Wallace refrained from attaching blame to the sport alone, instead pointing out there were no bonafide black stars in racing.
“There’s no one that minorities can look up to in [NASCAR],” Wallace said. “Like football, basketball has the Kobe Bryants, LeBron James. It’s just hard to look up to somebody for the young kid [hard to say] ‘I want to be like him’ when there’s no one that looks like him in the sport.”
Wallace continued: “It’s easier to pick up a basketball or football at your local sporting store than to go get a go-cart.”
Watch full interview below:
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Police Erased Video of CLaquan McDonald Shooting: Burger King Manager
- Phaedra Blogs Support for Cynthia and Peter During Marital Drama
- Tyra Banks Not Feuding with Chrissy Teigen, Chooses Beauty Brand Over 'FABLife'
- Ebony Celebrates Black Power with Williams, Belafonte and Zendaya
- Boxer Yusaf Mack is Attracted to Transgenders; Inspired by Caitlyn Jenner
- Editorial: Instead of 'Is it Because I'm Black?' - Why Not, 'Is it Because You're White?'
- Whoa! This is T-Pain ... Performing Minus Auto Tune? (Watch/Listen)
- Dick Wolf: King of Crossovers Takes Chicago, Talks TV Dominance [EUR Exclusive]
- Jill Scott: ''Soul Train' Brought Soul Into Everyone’s House'
- Presenting Ice-T and Coco's New Baby: Chanel Nicole
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here