*Budding superstar driver Darrell Wallace Jr. recently became the first African American to win a national NASCAR series event since Wendell Scott’s victory back in 1963.
Looks like Hockey is all they got left. Then again, you remember what Chris Rock said during one of his stand-ups, ” As soon as they make a heated hockey rink, we’ll take that s*** too.”
The 20-year-old (yes, 20) phenom has become a household name overnight and may be the catalyst for a new generation of minority drivers. Wallace discussed his historic win last week on NBC Sports Network’s “SportsDash,” telling host Dave Briggs that competing and winning in a predominantly white sport has come with a litany of challenges.
“It means everything,” Wallace said of his victory at Martinsville Speedway. “To go out there and just do the best that I can is all I can do.”
Throughout NASCAR’s history, there has been an ongoing shortage of minority participation. However, Wallace refrained from attaching blame to the sport alone, instead pointing out there were no bonafide black stars in racing.
“There’s no one that minorities can look up to in [NASCAR],” Wallace said. “Like football, basketball has the Kobe Bryants, LeBron James. It’s just hard to look up to somebody for the young kid [hard to say] ‘I want to be like him’ when there’s no one that looks like him in the sport.”
Wallace continued: “It’s easier to pick up a basketball or football at your local sporting store than to go get a go-cart.”
Watch full interview below:
- 50 Cent’s Bankruptcy Statement Includes 7 Cars Valued at Half Mil
- Drake Uses PowerPoint Presentation to Roast Meek Mill in Concert
- Jersey Police Looking for Suspect in Shooting at Big Sean, J. Cole Concert
- WATCH: 'Legend of the Mantamji' Live Action Short
- Michael B. Jordan, Kate Mara Put Up with Rude, Race Baiting Questions (WATCH)
- Darren Wilson Opens Up A Year After His Killing of Mike Brown
- Secret Service Expert 'Outs' Hillary Clinton's Marriage as 'Fake'
- D.L. Hughley: If Trump Says 'N*gger’ He'll be Elected Tomorrow (WATCH)
- Happy Birthday Mr. President! Today is Barack Obama's 54th B-day
- Bobbi Kristina Brown’s Cousin Admits Being Barred From Burial
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here