*When folks started hearing about Kobe Bryant‘s $24 million lump sum payment from the Lakers, it was like, “dang, I wish that was me gettin’ all that money.”
Well, maybe some of those folks might want to rethink their wish when they hear that the Black Mamba will be paying upwards of $13 million to the government via various taxes, reports ESPN‘s Darren Rovell.
Rovell, says that, according to Robert Raiola — a certified public accountant who works with the sports and entertainment department at New Jersey based accounting and consultancy firm FMRTL — Bryant is subject to a top federal tax rate of 39.6 percent of his earnings. And on top of that, the state of California will claim an additional 13.3 percent.
So the bottom line is that with the afore mentioned taxes along with Medicare tax and surcharges, Raiola, says Kobe Bryant, 35, will only retain just under $11 million ($10.9 million to be exact) of that $24 million.
But keep in mind that Bryant hasn’t played a single minute of the new 2013-14 NBA season because a torn Achilles injury. So, if he does come back this year, it probably won’t be until Christmas … maybe. So $11 million for doing nothing ain’t bad. Nope, it ain’t bad at all.
In any event, Bryant’s contract is fully guaranteed, meaning he would be paid the entire sum even if he doesn’t spend a single second on the hardwood for the Lakers this year.
Meantime, speaking of Kobe’s injury, Lakers fans are wondering if their hero does comeback this year, how well will he perform?
According to Mark Medina of the Los Angeles Daily News, the 15-time All-Star had this to say last week concerning his rehabilitation:
“This week has been pretty well. I’ve been able to push pretty hard and the next day come back and push hard again. The recovery of it has been pretty good.”
Check out what Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith of ESPN’s “First Take” have to say about Kobe’s situation with his injury and what might happen when he returns to the Lakers.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Ludacris' Secret to Making it Rain and Having Good Skin (WATCH)
- LL Cool J Charms at ‘Hamilton' - Gabrielle Union Slams Hollywood
- Peter Thomas and Cynthia Bailey Catch New Legal Battle
- Designer of Prince’s Purple Rain, Lovesexy & Parade Album Covers Reminisces
- Prince’s Music Vault Reportedly ‘Drilled Open’ by Bank Overseeing Estate
- Four 911 Calls Made from Paisley Park Between 2013 and Prince’s Death
- Joy Reid to Take Over Melissa Harris Perry’s Former MSNBC Timeslots
- EUR on the Red Carpet with Key and Peele's New Funny Flick, 'Keanu' (Watch)
- Larry Wilmore on Hosting Final WHCD Under Obama: ‘I’m Very Nervous’
- Beyonce’s Protégé Duo Chloe x Halle Premiere EP ‘Sugar Symphony’ (Listen)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here