*When folks started hearing about Kobe Bryant‘s $24 million lump sum payment from the Lakers, it was like, “dang, I wish that was me gettin’ all that money.”
Well, maybe some of those folks might want to rethink their wish when they hear that the Black Mamba will be paying upwards of $13 million to the government via various taxes, reports ESPN‘s Darren Rovell.
Rovell, says that, according to Robert Raiola — a certified public accountant who works with the sports and entertainment department at New Jersey based accounting and consultancy firm FMRTL — Bryant is subject to a top federal tax rate of 39.6 percent of his earnings. And on top of that, the state of California will claim an additional 13.3 percent.
So the bottom line is that with the afore mentioned taxes along with Medicare tax and surcharges, Raiola, says Kobe Bryant, 35, will only retain just under $11 million ($10.9 million to be exact) of that $24 million.
But keep in mind that Bryant hasn’t played a single minute of the new 2013-14 NBA season because a torn Achilles injury. So, if he does come back this year, it probably won’t be until Christmas … maybe. So $11 million for doing nothing ain’t bad. Nope, it ain’t bad at all.
In any event, Bryant’s contract is fully guaranteed, meaning he would be paid the entire sum even if he doesn’t spend a single second on the hardwood for the Lakers this year.
Meantime, speaking of Kobe’s injury, Lakers fans are wondering if their hero does comeback this year, how well will he perform?
According to Mark Medina of the Los Angeles Daily News, the 15-time All-Star had this to say last week concerning his rehabilitation:
“This week has been pretty well. I’ve been able to push pretty hard and the next day come back and push hard again. The recovery of it has been pretty good.”
Check out what Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith of ESPN’s “First Take” have to say about Kobe’s situation with his injury and what might happen when he returns to the Lakers.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- #BlackLivesMatter Activist Commits Suicide on Ohio Statehouse Steps
- Jubilee Project Video Discusses a ‘World Without Black People’
- How I Helped 50,000 Blacks Think it Out, Not Shoot it Out
- THE (02-10-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Lalah Hathaway & Kindred the Family Soul Headline ATL SLMF
- Timbaland Reschedules Detroit Charity Gig Following Champagne Tantrum
- 'Too Close' Singer Raphael Brown Wins Sole Custody Of Children
- Naked and Unarmed Black Teen Fatally Shot by Austin, TX Police
- ‘Memory Hackers’ (PBS): Not Just a ‘Men In Black’ Thing Anymore
- Video Stories About 'Good Cops' Show Up (Mysteriously) in My Inbox - Should I Be Concerned?
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here