*Rihanna will make history at the American Music Awards later this month.
The singer has been chosen to be the first-ever recipient of the “AMA Icon Award,” created to honor an artist whose body of work has made a profound influence over pop music on a global level.
“Rihanna’s iconic and innovative sound has enabled her to become one of the most influential and best-selling artists of all time,” said producer Larry Klein.
This month Rihanna scored her 25th top-10 hit on the Hot 100, with “The Monster,” her collaboration with Eminem, a chart feat that ties her with Elvis Presley on the all-time list. “The Monster” is also Rihanna’s 45th Hot 100 entry, tying her with the output of Mariah Carey.
A six-time AMA winner, Rihanna will compete in four categories at this year’s show, including for artist of the year and favorite soul/R&B album, for “Unapologetic.”
RiRi will also perform during the ceremony, being held Nov. 24 on ABC. Other performers include Katy Perry, Jennifer Lopez, TLC, Lady Gaga, Justin Timberlake, One Direction, Florida Georgia Line, Miley Cyrus, Imagine Dragons and Macklemore & Ryan Lewis.
Pitbull will host the ceremony and perform his new single “Timber” with Ke$ha.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- THE (11-27-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- R&B Soul Jazz Singer Kenya Covers 'Little Drummer Boy' (Listen)
- T-Pain to Larry King on Why He's 'Done with Making Hits!’
- Erykah Badu on Azealia Banks Beef: 'We Can Spiral Out of Control With Style'
- ‘Creed’ Dir. Ryan Coogler Pays Tribute to His Father in 'Rocky' Spin-Off
- Black Fox News Co-Host Asked if She 'Makes Kool-Aid' (WATCH)
- President Obama's Statement Regarding Laquan McDonald Murder
- Dr. Rapp: Enjoy Patti's Pie, Avoid Fatti's Pounds
- Nick Canon Talks 'Chi-Raq' & Calls Nicki Minaj A THOT?!
- One Year Since His Death, Tamir Rice's Mother Still Seeking Justice
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here