*Apparently, audience members at the New York screening of Spike Lee’s violent new film “Oldboy” never saw – nor heard of the disturbing twist that takes place – in the original 2003 South Korean film.
Variety is reporting that the crowd gathered at AMC Lincoln Square theater “squirmed about” at the violent scenes, and were left in “audible discomfort” by the twist.
“I’ve never been more shocked and surprised by an ending since maybe like ‘The Sixth Sense’” said Elizabeth Olsen, who plays a main character in the FilmDistrict pic. “No one spoiled it for me. No one hinted at it for me. And I got to experience it with just a blank canvas.”
Both Lee’s take on “Oldboy” and Park Chan-wook’s 2003 South Korean version are loosely based on a Japanese comic of the same name. Not surprisingly, there were several comic book and graphic novel fans among the cast.
“I’m a huge comic book fan myself. I’m in and out of comic book stores like twice a month. I read graphic novels. Always have,” said Samuel L. Jackson, who is also in the film.
The film follows the story of an advertising exec (James Brolin) who is kidnapped and held in solitary confinement for 20 years, only to be released suddenly with no idea why he was held captive, nor who took him. He then sets out on a mission to find the person responsible for his imprisonment, later discovering that his life is still caught in conspiracy and torment.
View the trailer for both Spike Lee’s 2013 remake of “Oldboy” and Park Chan-wook’s 2003 original below.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Idris Elba Splits With Naiyana Garth After Night With Naomi Campbell (Report)
- Black Sheriff Gets KKK Vibe From Beyoncé Super Bowl Halftime Performance
- Kanye West Defends Bill Cosby; Tweets Comic is 'Innocent'
- 'Family Feud' Contestant Can't Believe She's the 'Worst Ever' (WATCH)
- Target Wins Lawsuit Filed by Rosa and Raymond Parks Institute
- 'The Music of ‘Underground': Behind-the-Scenes with John Legend on Slave Thriller
- Lamar Odom On Way to Full Recovery; Almost Living on His Own
- Hillary Clinton Doesn’t Deserve the Black Vote. Here's why ...
- #BlackLivesMatter Activist Commits Suicide on Ohio Statehouse Steps
- Jubilee Project Video Discusses a ‘World Without Black People’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here