*Apparently, audience members at the New York screening of Spike Lee’s violent new film “Oldboy” never saw – nor heard of the disturbing twist that takes place – in the original 2003 South Korean film.
Variety is reporting that the crowd gathered at AMC Lincoln Square theater “squirmed about” at the violent scenes, and were left in “audible discomfort” by the twist.
“I’ve never been more shocked and surprised by an ending since maybe like ‘The Sixth Sense’” said Elizabeth Olsen, who plays a main character in the FilmDistrict pic. “No one spoiled it for me. No one hinted at it for me. And I got to experience it with just a blank canvas.”
Both Lee’s take on “Oldboy” and Park Chan-wook’s 2003 South Korean version are loosely based on a Japanese comic of the same name. Not surprisingly, there were several comic book and graphic novel fans among the cast.
“I’m a huge comic book fan myself. I’m in and out of comic book stores like twice a month. I read graphic novels. Always have,” said Samuel L. Jackson, who is also in the film.
The film follows the story of an advertising exec (James Brolin) who is kidnapped and held in solitary confinement for 20 years, only to be released suddenly with no idea why he was held captive, nor who took him. He then sets out on a mission to find the person responsible for his imprisonment, later discovering that his life is still caught in conspiracy and torment.
View the trailer for both Spike Lee’s 2013 remake of “Oldboy” and Park Chan-wook’s 2003 original below.
- 'Meet the Celebrities on Your Own Terms' in Upcoming Workshop for Aspiring Writers (Photos!)
- Nicki Minaj Wax Figure Getting Makeover After Fans Pressure Museum
- 'Selfish' Kardashians Being Sued Over Disruptive Fireworks Show
- Who T-Pain, Vic Mensa & A$AP Rocky Wanna Collab With (WATCH)
- Lorraine Toussaint Talks Playing Morris Chestnut’s Mama on ‘Rosewood’
- O.J. Simpson Fuming: Women Have Stopped Sending Him Commissary Money
- Gospel Sensation Naomi B Releases New Single, ‘Break Free’ (LISTEN)
- White Police Chief Gets Home Detention for Killing Unarmed Black Man
- Casting Complete for Brandy’s New BET Series ‘Zoe Ever After’
- Rosie O’Donnell Checks Elisabeth Hasselbeck for Calling #BlackLivesMatter a Hate Group
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here