*LOS ANGELES, CA –Award-winning journalist Thandisizwe Chimurenga, in conjunction with the crowdfunding site Indiegogo, has launched a fundraising project to publish her first book, “No Doubt: The Murder(s) of Oscar Grant.”
The book is scheduled to be released in January 2014 to coincide with the fifth anniversary of the murder of Oscar Grant III who was fatally shot by BART police officer Johannes Mehserle in Oakland, California, in the early morning hours of New Year’s Day 2009. The last 24 hours of Grant’s life was the subject of the 2013 hit film “Fruitvale Station” directed by Ryan Coogler and produced by Forest Whitaker.
According to Chimurenga, “Oscar Grant was murdered for the first time on January 1, 2009. He would then be murdered by the media and the courts soon thereafter.”
Chimurenga covered the 2010 trial of Johannes Mehserle from June to July for New America Media, Oakland Local and the San Francisco Bay View Newspapers. The book is based on her recollections as well as transcripts and other documents entered into evidence at the trial that was held in downtown Los Angeles.
“Thandi Chimurenga’s book gives an unflinching critique of the role white supremacy has played in the institutionalization of state-sponsored terrorism and violence against African Americans,” explains Sikivu Hutchinson, Los Angeles-based author of “Godless Americana, Race and Religious Rebels.”
Jill Nelson, former Washington Post reporter and author of “Police Brutality: An Anthology,” says that “No Doubt: The Murder(s) of Oscar Grant” is “a breath-taking read that will break your heart, stimulate your rage, and hopefully motivate you to take action.”
Based in Los Angeles, Thandisizwe Chimurenga has been a writer for over 20 years. Her community activism has ranged from electoral organizing; anti-police terror work; freedom for political prisoners and prisoners of war; to organizing against violence against women.
The Indiegogo campaign information can be found at: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/no-doubt-the-murder-s-of-oscar-grant
For more information on the book “No Doubt: The Murder(s) of Oscar Grant,” please visit: http://www.triplemurder.com.
Indiegogo is a crowdfunding platform where people who want to raise money can create fundraising campaigns to tell their story and get the word out. Indiegogo was established in 2008 and is headquartered in San Francisco, CA.
For more information, visit http://www.indiegogo.com.
- Nick Gordon Begs Permission to Attend Bobbi Kristina’s Funeral
- Bobbi Kristina’s Fam Feuding Over Planned Sweet 16-Themed Funeral?
- Wilson, Seahawks Agee to 4-Year, $87.5 Million Contract Extension
- Neechy Gospel: John P. Kee to Release New Project LEVEL NEXT
- Sophie Okonedo to Star in New BBC America Series ‘Undercover’
- Evan Ross, Ashlee Simpson Welcome Baby Girl
- Missy Elliott Reportedly Joins ‘The Voice’ Season 9 as a Mentor
- Dylann Roof Enters 33 ‘Not Guilty’ Pleas in Federal Court
- Unauthorized Beyoncé Bio to Reveal Inside Deets on 'SolangeGate'
- 'Peanuts' Celebrates its First African American Character, Franklin
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here