*Forest Whitaker and first-time director Ryan Coogler are to be honored with one of Hollywood’s most coveted trophies when they collect the Producers Guild of America’s Stanley Kramer Award for the film “Fruitvale Station.”
The filmmakers and their movie will be feted at the 25th annual ceremony on January 19 at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Los Angeles.
The award was established in 2002 to honor a production, producer or other individual whose achievement or contribution illuminates and raises public awareness of important social issues.
Announcing “Fruitvale Station’s” honor on Friday, PGA Awards co-chairs Lori McCreary and Michael De Luca said: “Fruitvale Station is an important film that raises awareness about an injustice that we encounter in the news with grim regularity. First time writer/director Ryan Coogler has captured the hearts and minds of both audiences and critics with his poignant portrayal of the true story of Oscar Grant.”
The film chronicles follows the true story of Oscar Grant, portrayed by Michael B. Jordan, a 22 year old who wakes up on the morning of 31 December, 2008 and feels something in the air. Not sure what it is, he takes it as a sign to get a head start on his resolutions to be a better son to his mother and a better partner to his girlfriend. His resolve takes a tragic turn when he finds himself in the middle of a New Year’s Day dispute with police officers in Oakland. In the scuffle, Grant is shot and later dies.
Whitaker, one of the films producers, says, “We are very excited that Fruitvale Station is being honored with the Stanley Kramer Award. It is a testament to the director, the production team and the incredible efforts of the many talented people in our crew and cast who worked so hard because they believed in the message of this movie.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- OMG! Did Facebook CEO, Mark Zuckerberg, Really Respond to My Friendly 'Hello?'
- Wendy Raquel Robinson Pays Tribute to Iconic Artist Prince
- Kelly Rowland's New Music Series Has Her Missing Destiny’s Child
- Tyra Banks, Misty Copeland to Speak During Essence Experience
- Tyler Perry Talks Following His Own Path to Saving OWN
- John Singleton and Gary Owen Score BET Series Deals
- Opinion: Presidential Correspondence Dinner not a Place for the word 'Ni*ga'
- Wendell James Grand Marshall for Long Beach Pride Parade
- Prince Update: Family Gifted Big Bucks by George Lopez
- Latice Crawford Releases ‘Diary of a Church Girl’ May 20
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here