It you missed, check it out. But be warned it’s pretty bad.
Silva fell to the mat in pain at about 1:16 into the second round. That was the cue for the referee to waive an end to the fight. Replays showed Silva’s shinbone snapped from the force of the contact.
The result was a second-round TKO (injury) victory for Weidman, and severe pain for Silva.
The 38-year-old Silva was rushed to a local hospital for emergency surgery.
A statement from the UFC released on Sunday said an orthopedic surgeon went to work on Silva Saturday night and successfully stabilized his leg.
“Following Sunday’s UFC 168 main event, former champion Anderson Silva was taken to a local Las Vegas hospital where he underwent surgery to repair a broken left leg,” the statement sai. “The successful surgery, performed by Dr. Steven Sanders, the UFC’s orthopedic surgeon, inserted an intramedullary rod into Anderson’s left tibia.
“The broken fibula was stabilized and does not require a separate surgery. Anderson will remain in the hospital.”
On the average, recovery from such injuries can take between three and six months, but there is no guarantee Silva – who’s from Brazil – will ever step into the cage again.
Also, on the card, billed as the “co-main event,” Ronda Rousey (8-0) almost met her match, so to speak, in her bout with Miesha Tate to defend her women’s Ultimate Fighting Championship bantamweight belt with a third-round submission win delivered by her now well known “armbar” move.
The bout ended 58 seconds into the third round, when Rousey spun Tate (13-5) and pulled on her left arm until the challenger tapped out on Rousey’s thigh.
- Malia Obama Joins HBO's ‘Girls’ with Summer Internship
- New Top Rank Lawsuit Brings Monopoly Claims Against Al Haymon
- What Style of Engagement Ring is Right for You?
- THE (07-06-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- 'Staten Island Summer' to Release on Netflix July 31 (Watch Trailer)
- Aaron Camper's Back and is 'Hypnotizing' in New Video (WATCH)
- MTV Presents 'White People' Documentary
- Kanye West Could've Been Highest Paid on Las Vegas Strip
- Reach Media Welcomes 'Gospel Traxx With Walt Baby Love' to its Urban Lineup
- Tyrese Gibson Responds to Forbes for ‘Green Lantern’ Shade
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here