It you missed, check it out. But be warned it’s pretty bad.
Silva fell to the mat in pain at about 1:16 into the second round. That was the cue for the referee to waive an end to the fight. Replays showed Silva’s shinbone snapped from the force of the contact.
The result was a second-round TKO (injury) victory for Weidman, and severe pain for Silva.
The 38-year-old Silva was rushed to a local hospital for emergency surgery.
A statement from the UFC released on Sunday said an orthopedic surgeon went to work on Silva Saturday night and successfully stabilized his leg.
“Following Sunday’s UFC 168 main event, former champion Anderson Silva was taken to a local Las Vegas hospital where he underwent surgery to repair a broken left leg,” the statement sai. “The successful surgery, performed by Dr. Steven Sanders, the UFC’s orthopedic surgeon, inserted an intramedullary rod into Anderson’s left tibia.
“The broken fibula was stabilized and does not require a separate surgery. Anderson will remain in the hospital.”
On the average, recovery from such injuries can take between three and six months, but there is no guarantee Silva – who’s from Brazil – will ever step into the cage again.
Also, on the card, billed as the “co-main event,” Ronda Rousey (8-0) almost met her match, so to speak, in her bout with Miesha Tate to defend her women’s Ultimate Fighting Championship bantamweight belt with a third-round submission win delivered by her now well known “armbar” move.
The bout ended 58 seconds into the third round, when Rousey spun Tate (13-5) and pulled on her left arm until the challenger tapped out on Rousey’s thigh.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Presenting the EURweb - Kashif & Friends, Black Music Month Celebration On-Line Contest!
- Angela Simmons Confirms Pregnancy: 'We Are Overjoyed'
- How to Start Your Own Online Casino
- Was Prince Better than Hendrix? Only if He Crosses the Entertainment Divide
- Alexandra Shipp & the 'X-Men: Apocalypse’ Cast in the Big Apple
- Savion Glover's Feet Perform Magical Feats
- Keke Palmer Said to be Replacing Tamar Braxton on 'The Real?' (Report)
- First Look: Cynthia Bailey's New Luxury Luggage Line 'CARGO by Cynthia Bailey'
- The Pulse of Entertainment: MBK’s Glory2Glory Presents Livre’, ‘Jericho: Tribe of Joshua’
- Whitney Houston Estate in Court Fighting $11 Million Tax Bill
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here