*Carlos Santana, Herbie Hancock and opera star Martina Arroyo were awarded the nation’s highest honor Sunday for influencing American culture through the arts.
The musicians joined singer-songwriter Billy Joel and actress Shirley MacLaine in receiving the Kennedy Center Honors. All of them have been playing music, dancing or singing since they were children — and they have never stopped.
President Barack Obama saluted the honorees Sunday night at a show that will be broadcast Dec. 29 on CBS.
“The diverse group of extraordinary individuals we honor today haven’t just proven themselves to be the best of the best,” Obama said. “Despite all their success, all their fame, they’ve remained true to themselves — and inspired the rest of us to do the same.”
On Saturday night, Secretary of State John Kerry hosted the honorees for a black-tie dinner at the State Department.
Santana, 66, a Mexican immigrant who began learning English from American television, is one of only a few Latinos who have received the honor so far. Kerry said Santana brought the beauty of Latin culture and its rhythms and influences to the American mainstream.
“We love the music you made, not because it’s Latin, but frankly because it is so very American,” Kerry said.
Hancock, 73, got his start at the piano at age 7 while growing up in Chicago. Soon he was playing Mozart and discovered jazz in high school. He joined the Miles Davis Quintet in 1963 and later set out to create his own sounds, fusing jazz, funk, pop, gospel, soul and the blues. He has won an Oscar and 14 Grammy Awards.
Arroyo found opera while imitating the singers outside an opera workshop when she was growing up in Harlem. Soon she was signing a contract with New York’s Metropolitan Opera and had a breakthrough with “Aida” in 1965. She went on to star in the great opera houses of London, Paris and Vienna.
Opera star Jessye Norman said Arroyo, now 76, has a voice “that makes you happy to be alive, just to be in her audience.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- THE (06-27-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- 2016 BET Awards Winners List
- 50 Cent Arrested in St. Kitts for Using Dirty Word in Show
- TV One Sets Original Film ‘Bad Dad Rehab’ for July Premiere (EUR Exclusive)
- Montell Jordan Releases New Memoir & Returns To R&B
- Frank Ocean Pens Open Letter On Orlando Massacre
- Steve Harvey’s Mentorship Program Empowers 220 Fatherless Males
- Michelle Obama and Daughters Sasha, Malia Head to Africa
- The Story Behind Jill Scott's Surprise Marriage (VIDEOS)
- We Remember: Celebrity Photographer Bill Jones Dies at 83
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here