A source tells ESPNdeportes.com that the deal, the third-largest contract in baseball, includes a full no-trade clause for Cano and was closed on Thursday. The 31-year-old second baseman is scheduled to return to Seattle on Monday to complete the deal by undergoing a physical. When asked about the signing, the Mariners released a statement that did not officially confirm what happened.
“We are not able to confirm any news regarding Robinson Cano at this time. If and when an agreement is completed and finalized, we will announce,” the statement said.
As a Mariner, Cano officially ends his era as a New York Yankee. The five-time All Star played in 160 games last season, hitting .314 with 27 home runs and 107 RBIs, while posting a .899 OPS.
Despite losing one of his best players, Yankees managing partner Hal Steinbrenner voiced his appreciation for Cano while looking ahead to better days for his team.
“He was a great Yankee. He was a great player. I think everybody tried hard to get the deal done. We just never got close enough obviously. We wish him the best. We hope he had a long, healthy career,” he said. “We’re going to keep going. We’re still looking at all the same guys that we were looking at a week ago or two ago. We’re going to continue to improve. We’re not done spending.”
Cano’s deal puts the athlete in the same company as Alex Rodriguez, who benefited from having baseball’s top two contracts. Rodriguez netted his first big payday upon signing a 10-year, $252 million deal with the Texas Rangers in December 2000. Seven years later, he came to the New York Yankees via a 10-year, $275 million contract.
Cano’s situation represents a solid victory for Jay Z’s Roc Nation Sports. The rap mogul signed Cano as the first client for his sports agency in April. Despite reports of Jay Z putting the deal in jeopardy, the entertainer came out on top with the Cano deal.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- The Journal of Steffanie Rivers: Donald Trump Is the Master of the Blame Game
- THE (12-01-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Trump Stands By Claim that ‘Most’ Black Pastors Endorse Him
- Watch Bryshere 'Yazz' Gray Freestyle on 'The Talk'
- Travel Much? Don't Do These 12 'Offensive' American Things (Watch)
- Ringside Update/ Cotto vs Canelo: A Clash Of The Latin Titans
- Call for Contestants! 'Heel & Toe' Reality Show
- Compton Mayor Aja Brown and Rapper YG Host Community Thanksgiving Dinner [VIDEO]
- DMX Makes Sitcom Debut as Love Expert on ‘Fresh Off The Boat’ (WATCH)
- The Orlando Magic Give Thanks This Holiday
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here