A source tells ESPNdeportes.com that the deal, the third-largest contract in baseball, includes a full no-trade clause for Cano and was closed on Thursday. The 31-year-old second baseman is scheduled to return to Seattle on Monday to complete the deal by undergoing a physical. When asked about the signing, the Mariners released a statement that did not officially confirm what happened.
“We are not able to confirm any news regarding Robinson Cano at this time. If and when an agreement is completed and finalized, we will announce,” the statement said.
As a Mariner, Cano officially ends his era as a New York Yankee. The five-time All Star played in 160 games last season, hitting .314 with 27 home runs and 107 RBIs, while posting a .899 OPS.
Despite losing one of his best players, Yankees managing partner Hal Steinbrenner voiced his appreciation for Cano while looking ahead to better days for his team.
“He was a great Yankee. He was a great player. I think everybody tried hard to get the deal done. We just never got close enough obviously. We wish him the best. We hope he had a long, healthy career,” he said. “We’re going to keep going. We’re still looking at all the same guys that we were looking at a week ago or two ago. We’re going to continue to improve. We’re not done spending.”
Cano’s deal puts the athlete in the same company as Alex Rodriguez, who benefited from having baseball’s top two contracts. Rodriguez netted his first big payday upon signing a 10-year, $252 million deal with the Texas Rangers in December 2000. Seven years later, he came to the New York Yankees via a 10-year, $275 million contract.
Cano’s situation represents a solid victory for Jay Z’s Roc Nation Sports. The rap mogul signed Cano as the first client for his sports agency in April. Despite reports of Jay Z putting the deal in jeopardy, the entertainer came out on top with the Cano deal.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Naturi Naughton Feels Tasha St. Patrick is Relatable, Not Unrealistic
- D’Angelo a No-Show for Scheduled Prince Tribute at BET Awards
- #BlackTwitter to Justin Timberlake After Praising Jesse Williams: ‘He’s Talking About You, Tho’
- Jesse Williams Reminds BET Audience Why He’s #ActivistBae (Watch the Full Speech)
- Watch: This Young Brother Met an 'Angel' at Krogers in Memphis
- Jill Scott Marries Longtime Boyfriend Mike Dobson; He Surprises Her with Big Daddy Kane at Reception (Watch)
- LTC Eddie Smith Congratulates 100 Black Men Mentee of the Year
- THE (06-27-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- 2016 BET Awards Winners List
- 50 Cent Arrested in St. Kitts for Using Dirty Word in Show
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here