*Averaging 2 million viewers on Wednesday nights, Comedy Central’s “Key & Peele” is the No. 1 cable show in its time slot among young men and a multiplatform phenomenon, boasting 400 million video streams, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
Since the sketch comedy show’s January 2012 premiere, Keegan-Michael Key and Jordan Peele, both former cast members of MADtv, have become cult heroes by exposing the myth of a utopian post-racial America in the era of Obama.
Their ongoing sketches featuring President Obama (Peele) and his volatile “anger translator” Luther (Key) have catapulted the duo into the zeitgeist, notes THR. The president is a fan — he told them he needs his own Luther.
In a Q&A that appears in the Jan. 3, 2014, issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine, the duo is asked about the racial controversy surrounding “Saturday Night Live,” and the fact that it’s had only three black women in its cast during the show’s 39-year history:
THR: They are likely to add at least one by January; partly in response to the outcry. When asked about this, Keenan Thompson reasoned that there has been a dearth of African-American women ready for SNL. Thoughts?
PEELE: I think everyone sees what’s going on, which is [SNL executive producer] Lorne Michaels has a history of relating to white men, and it is a field where there are a disproportionate amount of whacky white guys. But the truth of the matter is, we have so many friends who are African-American women who are straight-up ready that it doesn’t really hold water to us.
KEY: That would be our opinion. But we run in different circles than Lorne Michaels does, if you can believe that.
Watch THR’s entire Key & Peele interview below, followed by an Obama/Luther sketch from their Comedy Central series.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder wants Pres. Obama to Drink Flint Water
- Mental Health Therapist Teaches Victims to Forgive
- THE (05-04-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Eddie Murphy and Girlfriend Paige Butcher Welcome Baby Girl
- Khloé Kardashian Reportedly Boots Ex’s Daddy from his Home
- Michael Strahan Tells 'Extra' He's Not Listening to Rumors About Him
- Now That Beyonce is Done Eating from the White Man’s Hand, She’s Finally Ready to Be A Negro (How Convenient)
- Monica Forgives Shannon, Philly Pushers Approve of Steph Curry
- John McCain’s Son Rips Old Navy’s Racist Trolls With Wife Pics
- Jada Pinkett Smith Shares Personal Memories of Tupac’s Mom, Afeni Shakur
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here