The National Retail Federation estimates that more than 80% of shoppers will be including gift cards inside greeting cards this holiday season. Giving or getting debit cards requires some care.
*(Via LA Times) – Spoiler alert: There’s a really good chance you’ll get a gift card for Christmas.
That’s not a news flash from the North Pole. It comes instead from the National Retail Federation, which estimated in a recent report that more than 80% of shoppers will be including the plastic gift cards inside greeting cards this holiday season.
The average person will spend about $163 on gift cards, the group’s survey found. That’s up 4% from last year and represents the highest average amount since the retail association began tracking such things 11 years ago.
Total spending on gift cards this season will reach about $30 billion, the group said.
Matthew Shay, president of the National Retail Federation, called gift cards “the perfect foolproof option for friends and family.”
Harry Friedman, a Culver City retail industry consultant, didn’t dispute that assessment, but he said this isn’t exactly the best reflection of Americans’ thoughtfulness toward others.
“Could we be any more disengaged?” he said. “Gift cards save us the trouble of actually having to think about other people and what they want and what they care about.”
Read the FULL story at LA Times.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Beyonce’s Protégé Duo Chloe x Halle Premiere EP ‘Sugar Symphony’ (Listen)
- Rookie Cop Beats Handcuffed Woman & it's Caught on Camera! (WATCH)
- Prince Death Probe: Authorities Looking for 'Friendly' Docs who Prescribed Pills
- Karrine Steffans: ‘I Was One of Jay Z’s Beckys Back in 2000’
- Drake and Nicki Minaj No Longer Talk, but He Has ‘Genuine Energy’ With Rihanna
- Jonathan Butler's Inspired Journey Pt2: 'I Am That I Am' (WATCH)
- Parenting Blog ‘Mom Junction’ Lists ’85 Popular Ghetto Baby Names’ For Your Child
- Prince’s ‘Take Me With U’ Jacket from ‘Purple Rain’ Up for Auction
- Will & Jada Launch New Initiative Under Obama’s ‘My Brother’s Keeper’
- Duane and Tisha Campbell-Martin Ordered to Turn Over ‘Dr. Ken’ Paychecks
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here