*One of the stars of the critically acclaimed “12 Years a Slave” has dropped out of a film premiere in Italy after the local distributor opted to promote the film’s white actors over its more prominently-featured black stars.
Actress Lupita Nyong’o, who was scheduled to introduce the film at the Capri Hollywood Film Festival, did not give an explanation for canceling her appearance, reports Variety.
Her decision, however, comes after the film’s Italian distributor issued an apology for the unapproved movie posters, which focused on white cast-members Michael Fassbender and Brad Pitt – while the film’s lead, Chiwetel Ejiofor, is confined to the lower right-hand corner.
Fassbender has a supporting role as a sadistic plantation owner, while Pitt is in the film for just a few minutes.
As previously reported, Italian distributor BIM Distribuzione issued an apology Thursday for white-washing its promotion of the film.
“We apologize for creating and releasing unauthorized posters for ’12 Years a Slave’ in Italy featuring Brad Pitt and Michael Fassbender in a manner inconsistent with approved advertising materials,” “All inappropriate materials have now been withdrawn. We are very proud of the film and regret any distraction this incident may have caused.”
“12 Years a Slave” tells the true story of Solomon Northup (Ejiofor), a free New Yorker kidnapped and sold into slavery in pre-Civil War America. Nyong’o plays Patsey, a slave whom Northrup meets after being sold to the New Orleans plantation of Edwin Epps (Fassbender).
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Ebony Celebrates Black Power with Williams, Belafonte and Zendaya
- Boxer Yusaf Mack is Attracted to Transgenders; Inspired by Caitlyn Jenner
- Editorial: Instead of 'Is it Because I'm Black?' - Why Not, 'Is it Because You're White?'
- Whoa! This is T-Pain ... Performing Minus Auto Tune? (Watch/Listen)
- Dick Wolf: King of Crossovers Takes Chicago, Talks TV Dominance [EUR Exclusive]
- Jill Scott: ''Soul Train' Brought Soul Into Everyone’s House'
- Presenting Ice-T and Coco's New Baby: Chanel Nicole
- Black Teen Vlogger Renounces Conservatism; Laquan McDonald Killing Convinced Him
- Girls Want to Join the Boys Scouts of America
- Lil Boosie Rants Frustration with 'Gay Sh*t' On TV
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here