*One of the stars of the critically acclaimed “12 Years a Slave” has dropped out of a film premiere in Italy after the local distributor opted to promote the film’s white actors over its more prominently-featured black stars.
Actress Lupita Nyong’o, who was scheduled to introduce the film at the Capri Hollywood Film Festival, did not give an explanation for canceling her appearance, reports Variety.
Her decision, however, comes after the film’s Italian distributor issued an apology for the unapproved movie posters, which focused on white cast-members Michael Fassbender and Brad Pitt – while the film’s lead, Chiwetel Ejiofor, is confined to the lower right-hand corner.
Fassbender has a supporting role as a sadistic plantation owner, while Pitt is in the film for just a few minutes.
As previously reported, Italian distributor BIM Distribuzione issued an apology Thursday for white-washing its promotion of the film.
“We apologize for creating and releasing unauthorized posters for ’12 Years a Slave’ in Italy featuring Brad Pitt and Michael Fassbender in a manner inconsistent with approved advertising materials,” “All inappropriate materials have now been withdrawn. We are very proud of the film and regret any distraction this incident may have caused.”
“12 Years a Slave” tells the true story of Solomon Northup (Ejiofor), a free New Yorker kidnapped and sold into slavery in pre-Civil War America. Nyong’o plays Patsey, a slave whom Northrup meets after being sold to the New Orleans plantation of Edwin Epps (Fassbender).
- Fox News Anchor Harris Faulkner Sues Hasbro over Toy Hamster
- Porsha Not Pressing Charges Against Cynthia for Stomach Kick
- Venus Williams Graduates from Indiana University
- Chris Bosh’s Baby Mama Reportedly Unable to Afford Bankruptcy Payments
- MTV Says Nicki-Miley Beef 'Unscripted and Real' (Watch it Unedited)
- Cops Enter Wrong House, Kill Dog, Shoot Owner & Fellow Officer (WATCH)
- Black Female Celebs Rule Magazine Covers (At Least for Now)
- Rihanna Puts Support Behind Kanye West’s VMA Presidential Bid
- UCLA Footballer Ishmael Adams Robs Uber Driver; Suspended Indefinitely
- Greg King’s 'Postcards Central American Soul Food' is Top L.A. Food Truck
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here