*A case of mistaken identity was front and center in India as a public sign paying tribute to the late Nelson Mandela featured a picture of Oscar-winning actor Morgan Freeman rather than the former South African civil rights activist.
The Agence France-Presse reports the sign, which features a large image of Freeman alongside smaller photos of Mahatma Gandhi, Mother Teresa and Martin Luther King Jr., was paid for by a local cloth merchant and placed in the city of Coimbatore.
Included with the sign is a message acknowledging Mandela’s impact, along with those of the other leaders pictured on the memorial sign. The sign, written in Tamil and translated via the Huffington Post, reads as follows:
“Among today’s politicians who cannot think beyond the next election cycle, Nelson Mandela was a leader who thought of the well-being of future generations. He went to join Mother Teresa, Mahatma Gandhi and Martin Luther King on 5.12.13. We bow down to him, proud to have lived during his time on earth and praise his message of love, non-violence and sacrifice. “The farmer may sleep, but the seeds he planted never will.”
Although it would seem easy to distinguish Mandela for Freeman, it can be an easy mistake to make. After all, the actor portrayed the former South African president in the 2009 film “Invictus.”
The incorrect Mandela photo was made known to the masses after it was shared on social media site Imgur and tweeted by Samanth Subramanian, a correspondent for The National.
Realizing the error, plans are underway to fix the tribute sign. According to the AFP, the local cloth merchant who purchased the sign said he had not clue the mistake occurred.
“We will replace it with the correct picture of Mandela,” the merchant told reporters.
Lesson learned. If a picture is worth a thousand words, there’s no telling how much an incorrect picture may be. Care to place a wager?
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Ludacris' Secret to Making it Rain and Having Good Skin (WATCH)
- LL Cool J Charms at ‘Hamilton' - Gabrielle Union Slams Hollywood
- Peter Thomas and Cynthia Bailey Catch New Legal Battle
- Designer of Prince’s Purple Rain, Lovesexy & Parade Album Covers Reminisces
- Prince’s Music Vault Reportedly ‘Drilled Open’ by Bank Overseeing Estate
- Four 911 Calls Made from Paisley Park Between 2013 and Prince’s Death
- Joy Reid to Take Over Melissa Harris Perry’s Former MSNBC Timeslots
- EUR on the Red Carpet with Key and Peele's New Funny Flick, 'Keanu' (Watch)
- Larry Wilmore on Hosting Final WHCD Under Obama: ‘I’m Very Nervous’
- Beyonce’s Protégé Duo Chloe x Halle Premiere EP ‘Sugar Symphony’ (Listen)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here