*A case of mistaken identity was front and center in India as a public sign paying tribute to the late Nelson Mandela featured a picture of Oscar-winning actor Morgan Freeman rather than the former South African civil rights activist.
The Agence France-Presse reports the sign, which features a large image of Freeman alongside smaller photos of Mahatma Gandhi, Mother Teresa and Martin Luther King Jr., was paid for by a local cloth merchant and placed in the city of Coimbatore.
Included with the sign is a message acknowledging Mandela’s impact, along with those of the other leaders pictured on the memorial sign. The sign, written in Tamil and translated via the Huffington Post, reads as follows:
“Among today’s politicians who cannot think beyond the next election cycle, Nelson Mandela was a leader who thought of the well-being of future generations. He went to join Mother Teresa, Mahatma Gandhi and Martin Luther King on 5.12.13. We bow down to him, proud to have lived during his time on earth and praise his message of love, non-violence and sacrifice. “The farmer may sleep, but the seeds he planted never will.”
Although it would seem easy to distinguish Mandela for Freeman, it can be an easy mistake to make. After all, the actor portrayed the former South African president in the 2009 film “Invictus.”
The incorrect Mandela photo was made known to the masses after it was shared on social media site Imgur and tweeted by Samanth Subramanian, a correspondent for The National.
Realizing the error, plans are underway to fix the tribute sign. According to the AFP, the local cloth merchant who purchased the sign said he had not clue the mistake occurred.
“We will replace it with the correct picture of Mandela,” the merchant told reporters.
Lesson learned. If a picture is worth a thousand words, there’s no telling how much an incorrect picture may be. Care to place a wager?
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- TV One to Re-Air Original ‘Roots’; Louis Gossett Jr. Reminisces: ‘We Stopped the World’
- Parents of Bullied Boy Who Committed Suicide, Sue Florida School District
- Debbi Morgan to Play Toni Braxton’s Mom Evelyn in Lifetime Biopic; Full Cast Announced
- Wanda Sykes Cast in ABC's ‘Black-ish’, Showtime's 'House of Lies'
- Gabrielle Union to Star in ‘A Meyers Christmas’ for Universal
- Matt Barnes Still Swears He Had Something With Rihanna: ‘I’m Too Grown to Lie’
- Damien Sneed Performs During International Breast Cancer Awareness Week in Spain
- Bobby Shurmda Denied Bail, Will Stay in Jail Until Feb Trial Date
- Kim Zolciak Returning to ‘DWTS’ for the Nov. Finale
- Cassi Davis, Stephen Bishop to Host NAASC Scholarship Brunch
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here