*A case of mistaken identity was front and center in India as a public sign paying tribute to the late Nelson Mandela featured a picture of Oscar-winning actor Morgan Freeman rather than the former South African civil rights activist.
The Agence France-Presse reports the sign, which features a large image of Freeman alongside smaller photos of Mahatma Gandhi, Mother Teresa and Martin Luther King Jr., was paid for by a local cloth merchant and placed in the city of Coimbatore.
Included with the sign is a message acknowledging Mandela’s impact, along with those of the other leaders pictured on the memorial sign. The sign, written in Tamil and translated via the Huffington Post, reads as follows:
“Among today’s politicians who cannot think beyond the next election cycle, Nelson Mandela was a leader who thought of the well-being of future generations. He went to join Mother Teresa, Mahatma Gandhi and Martin Luther King on 5.12.13. We bow down to him, proud to have lived during his time on earth and praise his message of love, non-violence and sacrifice. “The farmer may sleep, but the seeds he planted never will.”
Although it would seem easy to distinguish Mandela for Freeman, it can be an easy mistake to make. After all, the actor portrayed the former South African president in the 2009 film “Invictus.”
The incorrect Mandela photo was made known to the masses after it was shared on social media site Imgur and tweeted by Samanth Subramanian, a correspondent for The National.
Realizing the error, plans are underway to fix the tribute sign. According to the AFP, the local cloth merchant who purchased the sign said he had not clue the mistake occurred.
“We will replace it with the correct picture of Mandela,” the merchant told reporters.
Lesson learned. If a picture is worth a thousand words, there’s no telling how much an incorrect picture may be. Care to place a wager?
- VH1 Orders Stevie J, Joseline Spin-Off; Season 2 of K. Michelle Confirmed
- Emayatzy Corinealdi Talks Role in New Amazon Series ‘Hand of God’
- Amended Lawsuit Mentions ‘White Girl’ Present When Bobbi Kristina Was Found Unconscious
- Tom Joyner: Hurricane Katrina, A Personal Memoir
- Trump Called Miley Cyrus to Say He ‘Loved’ Her Twerk-Filled VMA Performance
- Al Sharpton Trying to Put Positive Spin on MSNBC Timeslot Demotion
- Misty Copeland Dishes on Broadway Debut After Just Six Rehearsals (Video)
- TN Councilman Threatens to Kill ‘Black N****r’ in 911 Call; Swears He’s Not Racist (Listen)
- Tamar Braxton: ‘Ariana Grande Can Sing Her Face Off,’ But She Ain’t No Mariah
- Watch Obama Meet Woman Named Weezy and Break Into ‘Jeffersons’ Theme Song
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here