*A case of mistaken identity was front and center in India as a public sign paying tribute to the late Nelson Mandela featured a picture of Oscar-winning actor Morgan Freeman rather than the former South African civil rights activist.
The Agence France-Presse reports the sign, which features a large image of Freeman alongside smaller photos of Mahatma Gandhi, Mother Teresa and Martin Luther King Jr., was paid for by a local cloth merchant and placed in the city of Coimbatore.
Included with the sign is a message acknowledging Mandela’s impact, along with those of the other leaders pictured on the memorial sign. The sign, written in Tamil and translated via the Huffington Post, reads as follows:
“Among today’s politicians who cannot think beyond the next election cycle, Nelson Mandela was a leader who thought of the well-being of future generations. He went to join Mother Teresa, Mahatma Gandhi and Martin Luther King on 5.12.13. We bow down to him, proud to have lived during his time on earth and praise his message of love, non-violence and sacrifice. “The farmer may sleep, but the seeds he planted never will.”
Although it would seem easy to distinguish Mandela for Freeman, it can be an easy mistake to make. After all, the actor portrayed the former South African president in the 2009 film “Invictus.”
The incorrect Mandela photo was made known to the masses after it was shared on social media site Imgur and tweeted by Samanth Subramanian, a correspondent for The National.
Realizing the error, plans are underway to fix the tribute sign. According to the AFP, the local cloth merchant who purchased the sign said he had not clue the mistake occurred.
“We will replace it with the correct picture of Mandela,” the merchant told reporters.
Lesson learned. If a picture is worth a thousand words, there’s no telling how much an incorrect picture may be. Care to place a wager?
- LISTEN to Newcomer Babs Savage's New Hit 'La La' - A Unique Twist on the Delfonic's Classic
- #AaliyahForMAC: Aaliyah Fans Start Petition for MAC Line
- Naomi Campbell Convicted of Assault By Italian Court
- Whites Burst into Black Girl's Birthday Party Holding Confed Flags (Watch)
- Ice & Coco Expecting Baby Girl, Talk is Key to a Successful Marriage (VIDEO)
- Thursday's First Republican Debate Line Up Released
- Joe Jackson Out of the Hospital After Stroke
- Woman Sues Lee Daniels for $300M Claiming She Inspired Cookie Role
- Banned from Bobbi Kristina’s Funeral, Nick Gordon Mourns on Beach
- Jadeveon Clowney’s Dad Charged with Attempted Murder
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here