It’s probably accurate to assume the percentage of social media usage climbs after every episode of one of her programs; with viewers giving their input on the “shoulda…coulda and woulda” of what they just witnessed. Her women characters especially, are both loved and hated because they show the dynamics of strength and vulnerability. And while scripting rich content and intriguing story lines, she utilizes the full gamut of our multicultural landscape and puts a lot of people to work in the process.
These are a few of the reasons why Rhimes and business partner, Betsy Beers, will be honored by the Directors Guild of America. This is a huge honor, because the Guild has only done this type of recognition four times in its 66-year history. The ladies will receive the 2014 Diversity Award.
DGA president Paris Barclay spoke highly of the dynamic duo.
“In the decade that Shonda and Betsy have been creating and producing buzzworthy television, their record of diverse hiring has been consistently outstanding at a time when very few television series meet that standard,” she explained. “As a result, they have impacted the careers of dozens of women and minorities—they’ve made stars not only in front of, but behind the camera as well.”
Rhimes said she’s honored to be recognized with such an honor and that it’s important to always create shows that reflect the world we all live in.
Both Rhimes and Beers will be given the honor on January 25th at DGA’s 66th annual awards.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Blac Chyna, Rob Kardashian Confirm Pregnancy with Baby Bump Emoji
- Elise Neal, Eriq LaSalle Join Hugh Jackman in ‘Wolverine 3’
- La La Anthony, Monica Calhoun, Yvette Nicole Brown Join BET’s 'New Edition: The Movie'
- DJ Kool Herc Sues HBO’s ‘Vinyl’ for Using His Identity
- Stacii Jae Johnson Writes the Book on Dating Lots of Men
- Former ‘American Idol’ Finalist Rickey Smith Killed in Car Accident
- Ciara Gets Back at Future: She'll Grill Him Under Oath in Court
- Did Katherine Jackson Pressure Janet to Have Baby at 50?
- Not Impressed: Man Reads Book at Beyonce Concert (WATCH)
- White Woman (Samantha Niemann) Sues Diversity Program for 'Discrimination'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here