obamacare website screenshot1*(Via ABC News) – Two months after the troubled launch of its signature health care initiative, the Obama administration on Sunday announced that its online insurance marketplace now functions smoothly for the “vast majority” of consumers seeking to shop for and enroll in coverage.

“We’ve doubled the system’s capacity and HealthCare.gov can now support its intended volume,” said Jeff Zients, the administration official overseeing repairs to the system, on a conference call with reporters today.

The website can handle 50,000 concurrent users and 800,000 users per day, Zients said, marking a significant improvement from October when it crashed under the weight of just several thousand visitors.  The site’s response time and error rate for applicants have also vastly improved, he said.

“In effect, we have widened the system’s on-ramp. It now has four lanes, instead of two,” Zients said of the account registration process, which had been a major bottleneck for consumers in early October.

The announcement kicks off an effort by the White House to rebound from an embarrassing and politically bruising eight week stretch that has taken a significant toll on President Obama’s poll numbers and credibility. Officials hope a vastly improved website will begin to rebuild confidence in the Affordable Care Act and reassure nervous congressional Democrats facing reelection next year.

Get the FULL story at ABC News.