*Iconic leader and former wife of the late Nelson Mandela is in some financial trouble.
A South African magistrate ordered Winnie Mandela to sell her possessions, including scores of paintings, sculptures and a silver tea set to pay off her debts, according to recent court documents.
A dining table set, 50 paintings, sculptures and a “room with books” are listed in the sale.
Madikizela-Mandela owes the school around 40,000 rand ($4,300, 3,350 euros) in accommodation fees for a family member, the Sowetan newspaper reported.
She earns around 900,000 rand ($98,000, 75,000 euros) a year as a member of South Africa’s parliament.
Winnie first married Nelson Mandela five years before he was imprisoned during apartheid in 1963. The couple later split, shortly before he became the country’s first black president after the end of the minority rule.
Mr. Mandela married his now widow, Graca Machel, in 1998.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Dwyane Wade Emotional After Learning He Was Prince’s Favorite Player
- A Legendary Night in Los Angeles with the Ojays' Eddie Levert
- Prince’s Half-Brother Alfred Says Sibling Trying to Get Him Declared Mentally Incompetent
- Family of Autistic Teen Mocked by 50 Cent Wants $1 Million (Watch)
- Lupita Nyong’o, Danielle Brooks, Cynthia Erivo Lock Down Tony Nominations
- Amber Rose to Host Weekly VH1 Talk Show Produced by Dr. Phil
- Tupac Shakur's Mother Afeni Shakur-Davis Dies at 69
- NFL Vet Dana Stubblefield Charged With Raping Developmentally Disabled Woman
- Little Richard Still Alive Despite Internet Rumors...And Praising Prince
- Chris Brown: New Single ‘Grass Ain’t Greener’ Coming May 5
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here