*Iconic leader and former wife of the late Nelson Mandela is in some financial trouble.
A South African magistrate ordered Winnie Mandela to sell her possessions, including scores of paintings, sculptures and a silver tea set to pay off her debts, according to recent court documents.
A dining table set, 50 paintings, sculptures and a “room with books” are listed in the sale.
Madikizela-Mandela owes the school around 40,000 rand ($4,300, 3,350 euros) in accommodation fees for a family member, the Sowetan newspaper reported.
She earns around 900,000 rand ($98,000, 75,000 euros) a year as a member of South Africa’s parliament.
Winnie first married Nelson Mandela five years before he was imprisoned during apartheid in 1963. The couple later split, shortly before he became the country’s first black president after the end of the minority rule.
Mr. Mandela married his now widow, Graca Machel, in 1998.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Olympics-Bound Gymnast Simone Biles Can Not Be Stopped (Watch)
- Judge Joe Brown Banned from Practicing Law in Tennessee
- DMX Joins Keke Palmer, Aunjanue Ellis in Indie Film ‘Pimp’
- Kanye West Expands Adidas Partnership to Include Line of Apparel, Accessories
- Willow Smith: The New Face of Chanel Eyewear (Pics & Video)
- Father of Orlando Shooting Victim Refuses to Claim Son's Body
- Russell Simmons' All Def Digital Lands New $10M in Financing
- Daniel Craig In Talks to Join Halle Berry in LA Riots Drama ‘Kings’
- Theodore 'Ted' Myles Terry's 'Turn Me Loose' (Life & Times of Dick Gregory) a Success
- Ringside Update/ Thurman vs Porter A Clash of Young Titans
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here