*Iconic leader and former wife of the late Nelson Mandela is in some financial trouble.
A South African magistrate ordered Winnie Mandela to sell her possessions, including scores of paintings, sculptures and a silver tea set to pay off her debts, according to recent court documents.
A dining table set, 50 paintings, sculptures and a “room with books” are listed in the sale.
Madikizela-Mandela owes the school around 40,000 rand ($4,300, 3,350 euros) in accommodation fees for a family member, the Sowetan newspaper reported.
She earns around 900,000 rand ($98,000, 75,000 euros) a year as a member of South Africa’s parliament.
Winnie first married Nelson Mandela five years before he was imprisoned during apartheid in 1963. The couple later split, shortly before he became the country’s first black president after the end of the minority rule.
Mr. Mandela married his now widow, Graca Machel, in 1998.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Keke Palmer Denies Joining 'The Real' - Tamar in Tears Over Firing (WATCH)
- 'Presenting Princess Shaw' Film Review + Trailer [WATCH]
- Motown Gospel Presents 1 Mic 1 Take [email protected] Studios
- Khloe Kardashian Doesn't Believe in Divorce, Still Getting One Anyway
- Ex-Cop Sues NYPD for $100M Over Abusive Boss & Former Lover
- 'Roots' Star Anika Noni Rose: 'We Need To Hear About Our Holocaust' [EUR Exclusive]
- Kelly Rowland Talks Beyonce, Being 'Psycho' Mom, Her Mother's Death (Watch)
- Are Micro-credentials the Next Best Thing for a CV? (Infographic)
- Tamar Braxton Fired, BET Award Nominations, Madonna Prince Tribute and More! | BHL's This Week
- TV One Renews Docu-Series 'Rickey Smiley For Real'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here