*Police in Washington, D.C. have launched an internal affairs investigation into statement discrepancies related to Chris Brown’s recent assault case.
The singer, who is still on probation for his 2009 attack on then-girlfriend Rihanna, was charged with a misdemeanor in October after he was involved in a fight outside a hotel.
He has pleaded not guilty, and recently rejected prosecutors’ offer to reduce the count to simple assault if he changed his plea after his lawyer asked to see surveillance video footage from the night of the incident before entering negotiations.
Now it has emerged that investigators have launched an internal probe amid claims that an officer who had been at the scene of the alleged clash told one of Brown’s acquaintances that the singer had never punched the alleged victim.
According to police records, the R&B star’s unidentified friend relayed the conversation to detectives in charge of the case, only for the cop in question to deny even speaking to the witness.
However, a uniformed Secret Service agent, who had also been on the scene, spoke out in support of Brown’s affiliate after overhearing the reported conversation – and now the conflicting evidence is under review.
A statement released to The Associated Press from Police Chief Cathy Lanier reads: “We are aware of the discrepancy among witness statements in the Chris Brown case. This is not uncommon in cases with multiple witnesses involved. We have received no complaint of misconduct on the part of any officer in this matter.”
- Kimye Win Over $400K Settlement Against YouTube Co-Founder
- VH1 Orders Stevie J, Joseline Spin-Off; Season 2 of K. Michelle Confirmed
- Emayatzy Corinealdi Talks Role in New Amazon Series ‘Hand of God’
- Amended Lawsuit Mentions ‘White Girl’ Present When Bobbi Kristina Was Found Unconscious
- Tom Joyner: Hurricane Katrina, A Personal Memoir
- Trump Called Miley Cyrus to Say He ‘Loved’ Her Twerk-Filled VMA Performance
- Al Sharpton Trying to Put Positive Spin on MSNBC Timeslot Demotion
- Misty Copeland Dishes on Broadway Debut After Just Six Rehearsals (Video)
- TN Councilman Threatens to Kill ‘Black N****r’ in 911 Call; Swears He’s Not Racist (Listen)
- Tamar Braxton: ‘Ariana Grande Can Sing Her Face Off,’ But She Ain’t No Mariah
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here