*Police in Washington, D.C. have launched an internal affairs investigation into statement discrepancies related to Chris Brown’s recent assault case.
The singer, who is still on probation for his 2009 attack on then-girlfriend Rihanna, was charged with a misdemeanor in October after he was involved in a fight outside a hotel.
He has pleaded not guilty, and recently rejected prosecutors’ offer to reduce the count to simple assault if he changed his plea after his lawyer asked to see surveillance video footage from the night of the incident before entering negotiations.
Now it has emerged that investigators have launched an internal probe amid claims that an officer who had been at the scene of the alleged clash told one of Brown’s acquaintances that the singer had never punched the alleged victim.
According to police records, the R&B star’s unidentified friend relayed the conversation to detectives in charge of the case, only for the cop in question to deny even speaking to the witness.
However, a uniformed Secret Service agent, who had also been on the scene, spoke out in support of Brown’s affiliate after overhearing the reported conversation – and now the conflicting evidence is under review.
A statement released to The Associated Press from Police Chief Cathy Lanier reads: “We are aware of the discrepancy among witness statements in the Chris Brown case. This is not uncommon in cases with multiple witnesses involved. We have received no complaint of misconduct on the part of any officer in this matter.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- The Legend Continues Mathew Knowles, Beyonce' & Blue Ivy
- Gabby Douglas Hits The Gym For More Than 30 Hours Each Week
- Three White Athletes Charged with Alleged Rape of Black, Disabled Teammate
- Ahmad Rashad Gets Married For Fifth Time
- Mary J. Blige Joins Jason Mitchell in Dee Rees Film ‘Mudbound’
- 2 Cops in Freddie Gray Case File Defamation Suit Against Marilyn Mosby
- Report: Whoopi Goldberg Signs $2.5M, 1-Yr Deal With ‘The View’
- Spike Lee’s ESPN Mini Docs ‘Lil’ Joints’ Return on 5/31 (View Titles and Schedule)
- Lifetime to Air Uzo Aduba, Cicely Tyson Film ‘Showing Roots’ on Sat, May 26 (Trailer)
- ‘Empire’ Finishes No 1 in Black Households, Social Media and Other Key Demos
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here