The Detroit News reported that newly-elected City Councilman George Cushingberry Jr. is showing signs of “being a train wreck waiting to happen” for the City of Detroit that’s already haunted by ghosts past – convicted former mayor Kwame Kilpatrick and councilwoman Monica Conyers.
Apparently Cushingberry is on the defense for a recent incident that erupted from what seems to be a routine traffic stop for failing to signal a turn.
Although it’s under police investigation, reports state that Cushingberry who referred to his vehicle as an old “raggedy Buick,” was pulled over after a short pursuit where he may have attempted to ram a police car.
Police found an open bottle of alcohol and marijuana in his car. Cushingberry said the bottle was empty and the marijuana belonged to his passenger who presented a medical marijuana card. He was released at the scene without taking a sobriety test.
When Cushingberry identified himself as a city council member a police supervisor was called to the scene which is required. There is a question as to whether or not the councilman was using his position as council president pro tem to bully the police officers. Cushingberry also claims he was racially profiled by two white officers. Reports indicate that one of the officers was African-American.
With just a little over a week into his term, Cushingberry – a Baptist minister, and former member of the Michigan House of Representatives – has “embarrassed” the city that’s already under the direction of Emergency Manager Kevyn Orr for its financial woes. Cushingberry considers himself a political wheeler and dealer, but observers say his judgment and integrity have come into question.
With all Detroit has gone through, and with all the effort to entice investors as the city struggles to re-invent itself, one would think the city leadership would be a little more sensitive and cautious of what they project and how they conduct themselves. Right or wrong, Cushingberry – right out the gate – does not show signs of the type of leadership Detroit needs right now.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- The Film Strip: Joe Wright on Diversity and Rooney Mara on Being Clothed in 'PAN'
- 'Blue Lives Matter' Billboard Campaign Aims to Honor Cops ... And Distract From 'That Other One'
- Snoop Dogg, Birdman, Jermaine Dupri, Damon Dash to Star in BET Reality Series
- Three 6 Mafia Rapper Koopsta Knicca Dies of Stroke at 40
- Freshman, 18, Dies in Shooting at Texas Southern University; Obama Protested in Ore.
- Baltimore Mayor Compares Cop/Community Relations to Bad Marriage
- Malcolm Jamal Warner: ‘Cosby Show’ Legacy ‘Tarnished’ by Bill Cosby (Watch)
- Raven Symone Says She Wouldn't Hire Someone With Ethnic Sounding Name; #BlackTwitter Pounces
- What Happened to US Government Employee Kanika Powell?
- Danny Glover Joins Gabrielle Union's ‘A Meyer’s Christmas’; Ernie Hudson Added to ‘Graves’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here