*We’re sure this isn’t the kind of Drama Mary J. Blige wants to be singing about.
Thursday morning, (in Battle Creek, Michigan) her father, Thomas Blige, 63, found himself on the losing end of a domestic dispute with a lady said to be his former girlfriend.
The woman is under arrest on a charge of assault with intent to murder.
According to reports, police were called Blige’s apartment at the Arbors of Battle Creek apartment complex around 7am Thursday morning. There they found Blige in his apartment with three stab wounds, including one to his neck. He was taken to Bronson Methodist Hospital in Kalamazoo, Mich., where he underwent surgery according to the Battle Creek Enquirer.
It’s also being reported that officers went to the scene and found blood in the snow near the entrance drive to the apartment complex and more blood in Blige’s apartment. Police also found a knife in the apartment that they believe was used in the attack. Officers then went to the former girlfriend’s nearby apartment at the Arbors and found the woman in blood-spattered clothing.
She was taken into custody without incident and treated at a Battle Creek hospital for a cut. The woman was taken to the Calhoun County jail and was expected to be arraigned Friday in Calhoun County District Court.
Thomas Blige, according to police, saw the woman deflating the tires on his Ford SUV in the parking lot outside the apartment and went out to confront her. And argument ensued and Blige was stabbed. Reportedly, police have handled seven domestic violence complaints between Blige and his 50-year-old former girlfriend since last summer.
The woman was charged in October with aggravated domestic violence after she hit Blige in the head with a glass candlestick. She entered a no-contest plea to the charge and on Jan. 10 was placed on six months probation. She was ordered to have “non-assaultive” contact with Blige.
Mary J. Blige was taught to sing by her father, who later abandoned Blige and sister LaTonya following his divorce from their mother, Cora Blige in 1980.
Blige has previously described her father as a jazz musician and Vietnam War veteran who suffered from post-traumatic stress syndrome. According to Biography.com, Thomas Blige abused her mother. “He left us when I was 4, but he’d come back from time to time and abuse her some more,” she reportedly said.
Mary J. was taught to sing by her father, who later abandoned her and her sister LaTonya following his divorce from their mother, Cora Blige in 1980.
In her song, “Father In You,” Blige sang, “When I was a little girl, I didn’t have a father / And that’s why I’m leaning on you.”
As of this posting the singer nor her sister have commented publicly on the incident.
- Wal-Mart's New 24-Hour Neighborhood Markets Pose a Scare for Trader Joe's and Others
- Bill Cosby Admitted in 2005 to Drugging Woman with Quaaludes (Report)
- Happy 116th Birthday to World’s Oldest, Susannah Mushatt Jones (Video)
- Aretha Franklin Thanks Illinois for Helping Her after Bus Broke Down
- South Carolina Senate Votes to Remove Confederate Flag from Statehouse
- Russell Wilson, Ciara Practicing Abstinence: ‘I Need You to Pray for Us’ (Watch)
- Michael K. Williams Joins ‘Ghostbusters’ All-Female Remake
- Tami Roman Says Shaunie O’Neal Will ‘Pop Off’ on ‘BBWLA’ This Season (Watch)
- Fo Yo Soul Recordings/RCA Signs Christon Gray
- Nick Gordon Hires Casey Anthony’s Lawyer
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here