*A New York film critic thought he would give “12 Years a Slave” director Steve McQueen a piece of his mind as he accepted an award Monday night.
The British filmmaker was presented with the Best Director honor by the New York Film Critics Circle for his retelling of Solomon Northrup, a free African-American who was kidnapped and sold into slavery.
McQueen took to the stage in tears to accept his award after being introduced by singer/actor and civil rights activist Harry Belafonte, Jr., but things quickly turned awkward when one of the room’s NY critics started heckling from the back of the room.
Armond White, the editor of New York arts publication CityArts, whose opinions are often at odds with those of other film critics, called out, “You’re an embarrassing doorman and garbage man. F**k you. Kiss my a**.”
According to Variety, McQueen appeared not to hear the taunting and thanked the critics group for honoring him with the award, at which point White heckled him some more.
It is not the first time White has badgered stars during the NYFCC Awards. In 2011, he sniped at Michelle Williams and Annette Benning for their winning performances, and in 2012, he heckled Robert De Niro and Viola Davis while they were speaking on stage.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- THE (07-01-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Nia Long on ‘Boyz n the Hood’ 25th Anniversary & Becoming an Oscar Voter (WATCH)
- Birdman: 'I Got A Million Dollars Under My Mattress'
- #DeyaDoesEssence! Meet Me in the Big Easy!
- Stacey Dash Filed for Bankruptcy in 2004, Had $7 in Bank Before Fiance’s Handouts
- Racist Woman to Reporter: ‘Get the F*ck Out of Here, You Stupid F*cking N*gger’ (WATCH)
- Damon Dash Explains Issue with BeyHive Harassing His Daughters
- Supermarkets: Please 'Assume' We Would 'Like a Bag' (Unless We Say Different)
- LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Paul, Wives 'Having 2 Much Fun on Vacay' (Watch)
- How Prince Ended Up on Mobb Deep's Track ‘Thou Shall Not Kill’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here