*A New York film critic thought he would give “12 Years a Slave” director Steve McQueen a piece of his mind as he accepted an award Monday night.
The British filmmaker was presented with the Best Director honor by the New York Film Critics Circle for his retelling of Solomon Northrup, a free African-American who was kidnapped and sold into slavery.
McQueen took to the stage in tears to accept his award after being introduced by singer/actor and civil rights activist Harry Belafonte, Jr., but things quickly turned awkward when one of the room’s NY critics started heckling from the back of the room.
Armond White, the editor of New York arts publication CityArts, whose opinions are often at odds with those of other film critics, called out, “You’re an embarrassing doorman and garbage man. F**k you. Kiss my a**.”
According to Variety, McQueen appeared not to hear the taunting and thanked the critics group for honoring him with the award, at which point White heckled him some more.
It is not the first time White has badgered stars during the NYFCC Awards. In 2011, he sniped at Michelle Williams and Annette Benning for their winning performances, and in 2012, he heckled Robert De Niro and Viola Davis while they were speaking on stage.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- TV One Boldly Launches New Brand Identity 'Represent'
- Bounce TV's Black History Month Tributes a Stirring Line-up
- Pantene Enlists NFL Players for Dad and Daughter Hair Campaign [WATCH]
- The Complete List of Winners from the 47th NAACP Image Awards
- Woman Crashes Own Funeral, Shocking Husband Who Paid to Have Her Killed
- Coastal Town Being 'Targeted' by Great White Sharks
- NFL Great Jim Brown Celebrates 80th Birthday with Celebs and Family
- Meek Mill Sentenced to House Arrest & Six Years Probation
- Funnee: Will and Jada Called Out for Starting 'Ish' (WATCH)
- Kenya Moore Explains Why Cynthia Bailey 'Deeply Hurt Me' on 'RHOA'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here