*A New York film critic thought he would give “12 Years a Slave” director Steve McQueen a piece of his mind as he accepted an award Monday night.
The British filmmaker was presented with the Best Director honor by the New York Film Critics Circle for his retelling of Solomon Northrup, a free African-American who was kidnapped and sold into slavery.
McQueen took to the stage in tears to accept his award after being introduced by singer/actor and civil rights activist Harry Belafonte, Jr., but things quickly turned awkward when one of the room’s NY critics started heckling from the back of the room.
Armond White, the editor of New York arts publication CityArts, whose opinions are often at odds with those of other film critics, called out, “You’re an embarrassing doorman and garbage man. F**k you. Kiss my a**.”
According to Variety, McQueen appeared not to hear the taunting and thanked the critics group for honoring him with the award, at which point White heckled him some more.
It is not the first time White has badgered stars during the NYFCC Awards. In 2011, he sniped at Michelle Williams and Annette Benning for their winning performances, and in 2012, he heckled Robert De Niro and Viola Davis while they were speaking on stage.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Zoo Director on Why Gorilla Was Killed and Not Tranquilized
- Activist Najee Ali Calling for Boycott of New 'Block Wars' App by The Game
- Disgraced Cop Daniel Hotlzclaw Denies Raping Poor Black Women
- First Listen: Half Mile Home's 'Thinking of Me'
- Big Boi Meme Comparing Mothers of Today & 70s Causes Black Twitter Outrage
- Eve Says She Had to 'Import' to Find Love
- Laverne Cox Responds to Her ‘Rocky Horror’ Reboot Critics
- Seniors Get In Formation for 'Lemonade,' Pittsburgh Police Resist
- Black Lives Matter Echoes the Evolution of Black Panther Party
- BLM Activist Charles Wade Charged With Pimping 17-Year-Old Girl
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here