*Motion pictures can definitely be educational. And that’s the first lady’s intent here.
Michelle Obama will be hosting two events this week to showcase the importance of education to youths.
She’s screening a film, The Inevitable Defeat of Mister and Pete, at the White House starring Jennifer Hudson and Jordin Sparks, and newcomers Skylan Brooks and Ethan Dizon. The coming-of-age film focuses on two youths from the inner city of New York City on their own and left to take care for themselves after authorities have taken their mothers.
The first lady’s goal? It’s to discuss the challenges in under-served communities about access to education, the system failing youth and best solutions to these issues.
“In particular, Mrs. Obama’s remarks and discussion will support the Administration’s focus on empowering youth to achieve higher education, especially working to achieve the President’s “North Star” Goal, that by 2020, America will once again have the highest proportion of college graduates in the world,” the release reads.
The film, produced by Alicia Keys, was released on Friday, Oct. 11, 2013 in limited release. No mainstream release has been announced or reported yet.
The screening is however set for this evening, Wednesday, Jan. 15, 2014.
- Snoop Dogg Reinterpreted As European Noblemen [LOOK!]
- Watch: Today You Wouldn't Recognize the Little Boy from 'Katrina' (Hint: He's Now a Grown ... Woman!)
- The Soul of the U.S. Open: Serena Williams' Quest; Tournament Preview
- Tiffany Pollard and Her Mother Set to Appear on VH1’s 'Family Therapy'
- Trevor Noah Teases ‘The Daily Show’ Takeover [WATCH]
- Caitlyn Jenner Adult Unisex Costume Timely for Halloween, But LGBT Community Not Amused
- NeNe Leakes Confirms Hosting Gig on ‘Fashion Police’
- FDA Clears the Way for 'The Little Pink Pill' Viagra for Women!
- Beverly Johnson: 'The Face That Changed It All' - EUR BOOK REVIEW
- Janelle Monáe & Wondaland Records Artists ‘Speak Up’ on #BlackLivesMatter
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here