*Motion pictures can definitely be educational. And that’s the first lady’s intent here.
Michelle Obama will be hosting two events this week to showcase the importance of education to youths.
She’s screening a film, The Inevitable Defeat of Mister and Pete, at the White House starring Jennifer Hudson and Jordin Sparks, and newcomers Skylan Brooks and Ethan Dizon. The coming-of-age film focuses on two youths from the inner city of New York City on their own and left to take care for themselves after authorities have taken their mothers.
The first lady’s goal? It’s to discuss the challenges in under-served communities about access to education, the system failing youth and best solutions to these issues.
“In particular, Mrs. Obama’s remarks and discussion will support the Administration’s focus on empowering youth to achieve higher education, especially working to achieve the President’s “North Star” Goal, that by 2020, America will once again have the highest proportion of college graduates in the world,” the release reads.
The film, produced by Alicia Keys, was released on Friday, Oct. 11, 2013 in limited release. No mainstream release has been announced or reported yet.
The screening is however set for this evening, Wednesday, Jan. 15, 2014.
- Joe Jackson Alert, Feeling Good After Stroke, Heart Attacks
- Stan Sheppard: 'Why Do A&R Directors Positions Still Exist?'
- Dr. Rosie Milligan: It's Time for Black Leadership to Make Sense
- Aretha Franklin, Nina Simone and Others Portrayed in 'A Night With Janis Joplin'
- The Socialist's Journal: Derek Luke
- Bobby Brown Speaks On Bobbi Kristina’s Death
- Nappywood’s 3rd L.A. Natural Hair & Lifestyle Expo Attracts Stars
- THE (07-28-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- NYC Principal Commits Suicide After Found Cheating on Common Core Test, DOE Releases Statement (Video)
- Gilbert Arenas' Deadly Accuracy Gets Him Banned From County Fair
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here