*Motion pictures can definitely be educational. And that’s the first lady’s intent here.
Michelle Obama will be hosting two events this week to showcase the importance of education to youths.
She’s screening a film, The Inevitable Defeat of Mister and Pete, at the White House starring Jennifer Hudson and Jordin Sparks, and newcomers Skylan Brooks and Ethan Dizon. The coming-of-age film focuses on two youths from the inner city of New York City on their own and left to take care for themselves after authorities have taken their mothers.
The first lady’s goal? It’s to discuss the challenges in under-served communities about access to education, the system failing youth and best solutions to these issues.
“In particular, Mrs. Obama’s remarks and discussion will support the Administration’s focus on empowering youth to achieve higher education, especially working to achieve the President’s “North Star” Goal, that by 2020, America will once again have the highest proportion of college graduates in the world,” the release reads.
The film, produced by Alicia Keys, was released on Friday, Oct. 11, 2013 in limited release. No mainstream release has been announced or reported yet.
The screening is however set for this evening, Wednesday, Jan. 15, 2014.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- LTC Eddie Smith Congratulates 100 Black Men Mentee of the Year
- THE (06-27-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- 2016 BET Awards Winners List
- 50 Cent Arrested in St. Kitts for Using Dirty Word in Show
- TV One Sets Original Film ‘Bad Dad Rehab’ for July Premiere (EUR Exclusive)
- Montell Jordan Releases New Memoir & Returns To R&B
- Frank Ocean Pens Open Letter On Orlando Massacre
- Steve Harvey’s Mentorship Program Empowers 220 Fatherless Males
- Michelle Obama and Daughters Sasha, Malia Head to Africa
- The Story Behind Jill Scott's Surprise Marriage (VIDEOS)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here