*Motion pictures can definitely be educational. And that’s the first lady’s intent here.
Michelle Obama will be hosting two events this week to showcase the importance of education to youths.
She’s screening a film, The Inevitable Defeat of Mister and Pete, at the White House starring Jennifer Hudson and Jordin Sparks, and newcomers Skylan Brooks and Ethan Dizon. The coming-of-age film focuses on two youths from the inner city of New York City on their own and left to take care for themselves after authorities have taken their mothers.
The first lady’s goal? It’s to discuss the challenges in under-served communities about access to education, the system failing youth and best solutions to these issues.
“In particular, Mrs. Obama’s remarks and discussion will support the Administration’s focus on empowering youth to achieve higher education, especially working to achieve the President’s “North Star” Goal, that by 2020, America will once again have the highest proportion of college graduates in the world,” the release reads.
The film, produced by Alicia Keys, was released on Friday, Oct. 11, 2013 in limited release. No mainstream release has been announced or reported yet.
The screening is however set for this evening, Wednesday, Jan. 15, 2014.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Dencia Drags MLK into Skin Whitening War with LisaRaye (WATCH)
- Is Jada Pinkett Smith on Her Way Back to ‘Gotham’?
- Judge Gives 20 Min Speech to Racist Cop Caught Beating Unarmed Black Man (Watch)
- Kalenna, Star of 'Love and Hip Hop' to Mingle With Fans
- The Case of Bobbi Kristina Brown 'Still Open and Under Investigation'
- Beyonce Drops 'Formation' A New Song & Video (Watch)
- TV One Boldly Launches New Brand Identity 'Represent'
- Bounce TV's Black History Month Tributes a Stirring Line-up
- Pantene Enlists NFL Players for Dad and Daughter Hair Campaign [WATCH]
- The Complete List of Winners from the 47th NAACP Image Awards
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here