*Fans and fellow celebs continue to mourn the death James Avery, best known for playing Will Smith’s loveable, yet stern Uncle Phil on “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.”
The 68-year-old actor, according to CNN, died in a Glendale, California, hospital Tuesday night following complications from open heart surgery, according to his rep. The surgery took place in November.
Many of his “Fresh Prince” co-stars have reacted, but the show’s leading man, Smith, had yet to comment at press time. Tatyana Ali remembered the actor on Twitter: “James was my teacher my protector & the most magnificent actor,” she wrote. “We’re feeling his loss very deeply. He’ll always be apart of me #JamesAvery.”
Alfonso Ribeiro, who famously played his son, Carlton, wrote, “I’m deeply saddened to say that James Avery has passed away. He was a second father to me. I will miss him greatly.”
Throughout the series, Uncle Phil would frequently throw out Will’s best friend, played by DJ Jazzy Jeff. He too remembered his former co-star. He wrote, “RIP James Avery…Thank U for the talks,travel tips and the jazz cd’s. A great Friend and Even Better Person…You will be Missed!! #FPOB”
Supermodel Tyra Banks, who also had a recurring role on the series, noted, “Sending condolences to the family of James Avery, ‘Uncle Phil’ of the Fresh Prince. I’ll always remember how warm he was to me on set.”
Avery grew up in Atlantic City, New Jersey. Before acting, he served in the Navy during the Vietnam War. One of his early acting roles was in the 1980 film “The Blues Brothers.” While he is best known as Will’s uncle on “Fresh Prince,” he also is known for roles in “CSI,” “That ’70s Show,” “The Closer,” “L.A. Law” and as the voice of Shredder from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. He is survived by his wife Barbara Avery, as well as his mother Florence Avery and stepson Kevin Waters.
Smith’s wife, and fellow “Fresh Prince” star, Jada Pinkett Smith, took to Facebook to share her memories of the actor. “Happy New Year everyone! I was hoping to start the new year differently but we have lost yet another friend. James Avery who we all lovingly know as Uncle Phil from The Fresh Prince has passed,” she wrote. “Our condolences to aunt Florence (his mother), Miss Barbara (his wife) and all those who loved him. Rest in peace James.”
Avery is slated to appear in Zach Braff’s next film, “Wish I Was Here,” which will premiere at the Sundance Film Festival later this month. The actor and director recalled working with him on the film on Twitter. “James Avery was a very funny and smart man. He did a cameo as a favor to me in WIWH and had the entire set rolling with laughter. RIP,” he wrote.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Baltimore Rapper Lor Scoota Fatally Shot Leaving ‘Peace in the Streets’ Charity Hoops Game
- Steve Harvey Speechless when Kellie Pickler Almost Falls Trying to Buzz In on ‘Family Feud’ (Watch)
- Suge Knight Sues Chris Brown over Miami Club Shooting
- Maya Angelou Doc ‘And Still I Rise’ Wins AFI Docs Audience Award (Watch a Clip)
- Toni Braxton and Birdman Cozy at the 2016 BET Awards
- Lil Wayne Wanted for Questioning in Scuffle at BET Awards After-Party
- Usher No Likey The Donald: Wears ‘Don’t Trump America’ Jacket
- Venus Williams Wins First Round Match at Wimbledon (Pics, Video)
- Keyshia Cole Sued for Trashing Apt.; Landlord wants $150k Plus (Pics)
- Naturi Naughton Feels Tasha St. Patrick is Relatable, Not Unrealistic
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here