Well, that role model has sexual assault charges still looming over his head.
Patricia Carroll, the attorney of the woman who accused Winston of sexual assaulting and raping her in December 2012, said her client plans to press charges not only against Winston, but the school and Tallahassee Police Department.
Carroll announced last month she wants to reexamine the case – appealing to the attorney general to investigate the Tallahassee Police Department’s handling of the case. She said her client was treated like a suspect and the police department mishandled interviewing key witnesses and testing the victim for date-rape drugs.
Also, she criticized the police department for potentially mishandling evidence by not giving the Florida Department of Law Enforcement lab her client’s sexual assault kit until Jan. 17, 2013 — 39 days after the victim was raped on Dec. 7, 2012 .
“It appears to me to be a complete failure of an investigation of a rape case,” Carroll said during the 90-minute news conference.
“I’m not focusing on football,” she said. “Sometimes it’s not about football. Sometimes it’s about rape.”
Early this week, Carroll will file a notice to sue the police department. Florida requires anyone who plans to sue a government agency to submit paperwork six months prior to the lawsuit.
But the police department said it handled the case properly.
David Northway, a spokesman for the police department, said “based upon the facts and information gathered, no violation of department policy or Florida law was identified on the part of the investigators assigned to this case; therefore no formal internal affairs investigation will be conducted in this matter.”
Yet Carroll and her client are not backing down. Letters from Carroll, her client and her client’s mother were sent to Gov. Rick Scott last month. Scott “didn’t even give us the courtesy of a response,” Carroll said, but the letters were finally released last Thursday after a public records request.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Gonna Fly Now: ‘Creed’ Sets Pre-Thanksgiving Record with $1.4M Box Office
- Black Student Criticizes WWU For Ignoring Racist Threats Against Her
- EUR on Set with 'Rosewood's' Morris Chestnut & Taye Diggs WATCH)
- Greg Hardy Cancels Thanksgiving Nightclub Gig Over ‘Public Image’?
- South African Girl in Chris Rock’s Family Here On ‘Visitor Visa’
- Woman Nearly Burned House Down Trying Something She Saw on Facebook
- Rapper Lil Boosie Says He Has Kidney Cancer
- Kim Zolciak Emotional in ‘DWTS’ Return Following Stroke
- Gap Band Family Feud! Ronnie Wilson Sues Charlie Wilson
- Tracy Morgan Says God Spoke to Him After Crash: ‘I Went to the Other Side’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here