Well, that role model has sexual assault charges still looming over his head.
Patricia Carroll, the attorney of the woman who accused Winston of sexual assaulting and raping her in December 2012, said her client plans to press charges not only against Winston, but the school and Tallahassee Police Department.
Carroll announced last month she wants to reexamine the case – appealing to the attorney general to investigate the Tallahassee Police Department’s handling of the case. She said her client was treated like a suspect and the police department mishandled interviewing key witnesses and testing the victim for date-rape drugs.
Also, she criticized the police department for potentially mishandling evidence by not giving the Florida Department of Law Enforcement lab her client’s sexual assault kit until Jan. 17, 2013 — 39 days after the victim was raped on Dec. 7, 2012 .
“It appears to me to be a complete failure of an investigation of a rape case,” Carroll said during the 90-minute news conference.
“I’m not focusing on football,” she said. “Sometimes it’s not about football. Sometimes it’s about rape.”
Early this week, Carroll will file a notice to sue the police department. Florida requires anyone who plans to sue a government agency to submit paperwork six months prior to the lawsuit.
But the police department said it handled the case properly.
David Northway, a spokesman for the police department, said “based upon the facts and information gathered, no violation of department policy or Florida law was identified on the part of the investigators assigned to this case; therefore no formal internal affairs investigation will be conducted in this matter.”
Yet Carroll and her client are not backing down. Letters from Carroll, her client and her client’s mother were sent to Gov. Rick Scott last month. Scott “didn’t even give us the courtesy of a response,” Carroll said, but the letters were finally released last Thursday after a public records request.
- Amber Rose Reacts to Trolls Who Criticize 'Slut Walk' Initiative
- Neechy Gospel: New Music Video From Jonathan McReynolds LIMP
- Birdman Finally Speaks About Fallout with Lil Wayne (WATCH)
- Presidential Candidates Stymied by Black Lives Matter Movement
- Bounce TV to Launch New Original Series 'In The Cut' Tuesday August 25 at 9:00 p.m.
- John Legend Will Executive Produce and Score Slave Drama Series
- Racist Yells N-word At Black Mom; Lectures Her on Constitution (WATCH)
- Kelly Price Thinks Cops Need to Throw the book at Nick Gordon (WATCH)
- Michael Gordon Bennett Calls Himself America's Whitest Black Kid
- FAMU Awarded $675,000, Multi-Year NCAA Academic Grant
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here