*If something has gotten under her skin, Inda.Arie will not hesitate to let you know. Such is the case with the singer blasting this year’s Grammy Awards for overlooking what she described as “the best black artists.”
Arie took her frustration out in a letter posted on her Tumblr page, soulbird-journal.tumblr.com. The Grammy-winning vocalist didn’t mince words as she accused the Grammys and other award shows of being more concerned with popularity and sales instead of the quality of music.
“Though it’s called ‘Music industries biggest night’ the #Grammys are NOT about the music, it’s a popularity contest,” Arie wrote. “The voting process allows people, to vote on name recognition alone — the music industry politics is a whole NUTHER conversation. Too much to go into here.
The American Music Awards is a show that awards sales and popularity – the #Grammys are SAID to be about the music.”
Arie’s letter came after she reacted to Kendrick Lamar not receiving any of the seven Grammys he was nominated for. Lamar was up for seven Grammys including, Best New Artist and Best Rap Album. To have the Compton rhymeslinger go home empty-handed was more than Arie could stand. The singer’s response echoes comments made by Macklemore, who felt Lamar was “robbed” for not winning the Best Rap Album Grammy he and Ryan Lewis ultimately took home.
“@Kendricklamar WAS robbed, BUT he was not the only one who was robbed,” Arie stated. “Personally, I was pleased he was able to perform and they KILLED! IT! One of the FEW moving moments of the night for ME.
In addition to the lack of recognition for black talent and Lamar, the singer goes in on the Grammys for not airing the Isley Brothers receiving the Lifetime Achievement award, a moment she felt should’ve been seen by all music lovers.
To read India.Arie’s open letter to the 2014 Grammys in its entirety, click over to her Tumblr page.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Amber Rose's 'SlutWalk': Several Hundred Showed Up (VIDEO/PHOTOS)
- Jerrod Carmichael: New Onyx Phone Makes Filming Police Brutality Easy (WATCH)
- Universal Eyeing Michael B. Jordan and Jonah Hill for Def Jam Biopic
- Toni Braxton to Star in Lifetime Biopic 'Un-Break My Heart'
- NeYo Shares Proposal Video, Slams Ex's Sterilization Claims [WATCH]
- Staples Singers Limited Edition 4-CD Box Set to be Released Nov. 13 from Stax/Concord Music Group
- Whoopi Goldberg Blasts Pro-Lifers: ‘Get Out of My Vagina!’
- Jennifer Hudson Dishes on Film Roles, Style and Weight Loss
- Sparkletainment Presents 'Loves Freedom' a One-woman Stage Performance (WATCH)
- 'Why You Always Lying' Creator Calls Viral Success 'Crazy'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here