*If something has gotten under her skin, Inda.Arie will not hesitate to let you know. Such is the case with the singer blasting this year’s Grammy Awards for overlooking what she described as “the best black artists.”
Arie took her frustration out in a letter posted on her Tumblr page, soulbird-journal.tumblr.com. The Grammy-winning vocalist didn’t mince words as she accused the Grammys and other award shows of being more concerned with popularity and sales instead of the quality of music.
“Though it’s called ‘Music industries biggest night’ the #Grammys are NOT about the music, it’s a popularity contest,” Arie wrote. “The voting process allows people, to vote on name recognition alone — the music industry politics is a whole NUTHER conversation. Too much to go into here.
The American Music Awards is a show that awards sales and popularity – the #Grammys are SAID to be about the music.”
Arie’s letter came after she reacted to Kendrick Lamar not receiving any of the seven Grammys he was nominated for. Lamar was up for seven Grammys including, Best New Artist and Best Rap Album. To have the Compton rhymeslinger go home empty-handed was more than Arie could stand. The singer’s response echoes comments made by Macklemore, who felt Lamar was “robbed” for not winning the Best Rap Album Grammy he and Ryan Lewis ultimately took home.
“@Kendricklamar WAS robbed, BUT he was not the only one who was robbed,” Arie stated. “Personally, I was pleased he was able to perform and they KILLED! IT! One of the FEW moving moments of the night for ME.
In addition to the lack of recognition for black talent and Lamar, the singer goes in on the Grammys for not airing the Isley Brothers receiving the Lifetime Achievement award, a moment she felt should’ve been seen by all music lovers.
To read India.Arie’s open letter to the 2014 Grammys in its entirety, click over to her Tumblr page.
- Brittney Griner Rebounds with Beauty Named Lola
- Jill Scott On Bill Cosby, 'Being a Beloved Black Man Is Dangerous
- Ja Rule Ready to Show Different Side in MTV Family Docuseries 'Follow the Rules'
- REPORT: Congressman Chaka Fattah (Dem/PA) Indicted in Racketeering Case
- Ohio Cop Ray Tensing Indicted for Murder of Samuel DuBose (Video of Shooting)
- Nick Gordon Eyed for Prosecution; Spotted Wearing Bobbi Kristina’s Ring
- Bobbi Kristina’s Funeral to be Private
- Whoopi Defends Elisabeth Hasselbeck Against Racism Claims: 'She Never Asked Me to Pick Cotton' (Watch)
- Jaden Smith Drops Video for New Track ‘Scarface’ (Watch)
- Boy, 8, Youngest to Receive Successful Double Hand Transplant (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here