*“Good Times” had its share of critics back in the day, particularly when it came to the antics of J.J.
Some critics saw his mannerisms as nothing more than shuckin’ and jiving, perpetuating the worst stereotypes about African American males. It didn’t help the cause that a white male, TV legend Norman Lear, was signing off on the portrayal as the show’s executive producer.
But according to Walker, even Lear had his limits when it came to J.J. Turns out the TV veteran was never a fan of the character’s catch phrase, “Dy-No-Mite!”
“Norman Lear detested it. He hated it. It literally made him throw up,” Walker said during a TCA panel for the PBS series “Pioneers of Television” on Tuesday.
Below, Walker said even he had his doubts when the show’s director John Rich first approached him about J.J. having to bark out the phrase.
“Pioneers of Television” Season 4 premieres on April 15, 2014 on PBS.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- FAMU Grad Single Mom (Taylor Hunter) Testament to Power of Perseverance
- THE (05-05-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- EURweb.com Partners with Blackmon Entertainment Media on Exclusive New Media Licensing Deal
- It's GAME Time! Says Fashion Accessory Brand, Sprayground
- Trump Takes GOP Nomination; Will Black America Listen to His Presidential Plan? (Video)
- Afrika Bambaataa Now Accused of Molesting Hundreds of Boys
- Prince Offered to Mentor Chris Brown After Rihanna Incident
- OWN Staff Blindsided by Exit of Oprah’s Longtime Confident Sheri Salata (Report)
- FoxNews.Com Pulls Comment Section of Malia Obama Story After Racists Take Over
- Pres. Obama Drinks Filtered Flint Water to Show It's Safe (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here