Media sources report that Macklemore himself texted Lamar after Sunday’s Grammy Awards telecast to send his regrets for the Compton lyricist not getting the props he deserved for his album.
“He deserved best rap album,” Macklemore stated in a caption accompanying the text, which he posted on Instagram. “I’m honored and completely blown away to win anything much less 4 Grammys. But in that category, he should have won IMO. And that’s taking nothing away from The Heist. Just giving GKMC it’s proper respect.”
This year’s Grammys proved to be a great moment for Macklemore & Ryan Lewis. In addition to Best Rap Album for “The Heist,” the duo collected three other Grammys for Best New Artist, Best Rap Performance and Best Rap Song for their hit single, ‘Thrift Shop.’
Although Lamar did not receive any Grammys, he provided one of the most talked about moments from the annual event with a killer performance alongside Imagine Dragons of the remix to the group’s popular song, “Radioactive.”
Despite it’s good intent, the wording of Macklemore’s text to Lamar — especially, “It’s weird and sucks that I robbed you” — raised a few eyebrows as some wondered if that particular part of the text was a backhanded compliment from the Seattle rhymesayer.
All questions were ultimately put to rest by Macklemore, who posted an exchange between him and Lamar before the Grammys, which illustrated a mutual respect between them.
Macklemore’s pre-Grammy exchange with Lamar can be seen here:
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Jim Brown Celebrates 80th Birthday Surrounded by Celebs and Well Wishers
- Meek Mill Sentenced to House Arrest & Six Years Probation
- Will and Jada Called Out by Anthony Anderson for Starting 'Ish' (WATCH)
- Kenya Moore Explains Why Cynthia Bailey 'Deeply Hurt Me' on 'RHOA'
- Agents of Change Docu Is Centerpiece Film At PAFF
- For the Brothas: Nadkins ... Wet Naps For Your ... You Know
- EUR Exclusive First Look Clip: Robert Townsend's 'Playin' for Love'
- Zendaya on Her Fears, the 'New Cool' and Obsessive Photoshopping
- Civil Rights Leaders Call for 'Lunch Out' of Pre Oscar Ceremony Luncheon
- James Franco to Direct ‘Zola Tells All’ Based on Stripper Twitter Saga
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here