Media sources report that Macklemore himself texted Lamar after Sunday’s Grammy Awards telecast to send his regrets for the Compton lyricist not getting the props he deserved for his album.
“He deserved best rap album,” Macklemore stated in a caption accompanying the text, which he posted on Instagram. “I’m honored and completely blown away to win anything much less 4 Grammys. But in that category, he should have won IMO. And that’s taking nothing away from The Heist. Just giving GKMC it’s proper respect.”
This year’s Grammys proved to be a great moment for Macklemore & Ryan Lewis. In addition to Best Rap Album for “The Heist,” the duo collected three other Grammys for Best New Artist, Best Rap Performance and Best Rap Song for their hit single, ‘Thrift Shop.’
Although Lamar did not receive any Grammys, he provided one of the most talked about moments from the annual event with a killer performance alongside Imagine Dragons of the remix to the group’s popular song, “Radioactive.”
Despite it’s good intent, the wording of Macklemore’s text to Lamar — especially, “It’s weird and sucks that I robbed you” — raised a few eyebrows as some wondered if that particular part of the text was a backhanded compliment from the Seattle rhymesayer.
All questions were ultimately put to rest by Macklemore, who posted an exchange between him and Lamar before the Grammys, which illustrated a mutual respect between them.
Macklemore’s pre-Grammy exchange with Lamar can be seen here:
- Kimye Win Over $400K Settlement Against YouTube Co-Founder
- VH1 Orders Stevie J, Joseline Spin-Off; Season 2 of K. Michelle Confirmed
- Emayatzy Corinealdi Talks Role in New Amazon Series ‘Hand of God’
- Amended Lawsuit Mentions ‘White Girl’ Present When Bobbi Kristina Was Found Unconscious
- Tom Joyner: Hurricane Katrina, A Personal Memoir
- Trump Called Miley Cyrus to Say He ‘Loved’ Her Twerk-Filled VMA Performance
- Al Sharpton Trying to Put Positive Spin on MSNBC Timeslot Demotion
- Misty Copeland Dishes on Broadway Debut After Just Six Rehearsals (Video)
- TN Councilman Threatens to Kill ‘Black N****r’ in 911 Call; Swears He’s Not Racist (Listen)
- Tamar Braxton: ‘Ariana Grande Can Sing Her Face Off,’ But She Ain’t No Mariah
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here