*Even though she’s known and revered for being outspoken, you would think Madonna of all people would know better.
The pop superstar is apologizing today after she stuck her foot in her mouth and called her son Rocco Ritchie – who is white – the N-word via Instagram (scroll down to see it).
“No one messes with Dirty Soap!” she captioned a photo of her 13-year-old son during a boxing workout Friday. “Mama said knock you out! #disnigga”
Huh? What? Why. Well now, Madonna, 55 is apologizing for her choice of words.
“I am sorry if I offended anyone with my use of the N-word on Instagram,” she said in a statement Saturday to E! News. “It was not meant as a racial slur … I am not a racist.”
She added: “There’s no way to defend the use of the word. It was all about intention … it was used as a term of endearment toward my son who is white. I appreciate that it’s a provocative word and I apologize if it gave people the wrong impression. Forgive me.”
According to Buzzfeed, the “Justify My Love” singer immediately deleted the post when it began causing an uproar, but her revised caption didn’t work out too well, either.
“Ok let me start this again,” she wrote alongside the same image of Rocco. “#get off my d–k haters!”
While some dismissed her comment as ignorance, others felt she should apologize for her use of the N-word, period.
“I don’t have people policing me because I am not a celebrity with millions of fans all over the world,” @kinkaloe wrote on Instagram. “This is f–king Madge, she is a legend, people are watching her and WILL comment if she says something ignorant.”
You can read MORE about this story at NY Daily News.
- Jill Scott On Bill Cosby, 'Being a Beloved Black Man Is Dangerous
- Ja Rule Ready to Show Different Side in MTV Family Docuseries 'Follow the Rules'
- REPORT: Congressman Chaka Fattah (Dem/PA) Indicted in Racketeering Case
- Ohio Cop Ray Tensing Indicted for Murder of Samuel DuBose (Video of Shooting)
- Nick Gordon Eyed for Prosecution; Spotted Wearing Bobbi Kristina’s Ring
- Bobbi Kristina’s Funeral to be Private
- Whoopi Defends Elisabeth Hasselbeck Against Racism Claims: 'She Never Asked Me to Pick Cotton' (Watch)
- Jaden Smith Drops Video for New Track ‘Scarface’ (Watch)
- Boy, 8, Youngest to Receive Successful Double Hand Transplant (Watch)
- Woman in China Pushes Child to Safety Before Falling to Her Death on Escalator (Video)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here