*“Orange Is the New Black” star Michelle Hurst was kept in a medically-induced coma for more than two weeks after being involved in a car accident over the holidays, and is now recovering, according to some of her castmates.
A fundraising page launched via www.youcaring.com notes that Hurst (who plays inmate Miss Claudette on the Netflix show) is in the intensive care unit at UNC Chapel Hill Hospital in North Carolina.
“Michelle Hurst was in a bad car accident just before the holidays,” the post reads. “She had major injuries so the doctors put her in a medically induced coma to avoid movement while they did multiple surgeries near her spine. She is out of the coma (after 16 days) and has opened her eyes!”
All donations made through the website will go to Hurst’s sister to cover her medical expenses and time off work, according to Hurst’s page.
Many of Hurst’s “New Black” co-stars have been sharing the link to her YouCaring page on social media.
“Michelle Hurst, aka “Miss Claudette”, was injured in a very bad car accident. More info @ fundraising page,” wrote Piper Kerman, who authored the memoir upon which the series is based. Added Natasha Lyonne: “Please give what you can to help Michelle Hurst – the amazing actress who plays Ms. Claudette on OITNB,” along with a link to the page.
- Rain Pryor Talks Race, Richard Pryor and ‘Fried Chicken & Latkes’
- Exclusive: Dayo Okeniyi Has Pivotal Role in 'Terminator Genysis'
- Dr. Rosie Milligan: The Malignant Hate Cancer Took Nine Lives
- Allen West: Confederate Flag is ‘Manufactured Political Crisis’ by Left
- Panel Photos: Beautiful Textures Presents 'Who Wore What,' BET Awards Fashion Recap [Photos]
- Earl Ofari Hutchinson: Why Are So Many Schools Still Named Robert E. Lee?
- The Socialist's Journal: Quick Hits Part 2
- THE (06-30-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- New Book! 'Diana Ross Reflections'
- EUR on the Scene: BET Experience Fan Fest 2015 (PHOTOS!)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here