*“Orange Is the New Black” star Michelle Hurst was kept in a medically-induced coma for more than two weeks after being involved in a car accident over the holidays, and is now recovering, according to some of her castmates.
A fundraising page launched via www.youcaring.com notes that Hurst (who plays inmate Miss Claudette on the Netflix show) is in the intensive care unit at UNC Chapel Hill Hospital in North Carolina.
“Michelle Hurst was in a bad car accident just before the holidays,” the post reads. “She had major injuries so the doctors put her in a medically induced coma to avoid movement while they did multiple surgeries near her spine. She is out of the coma (after 16 days) and has opened her eyes!”
All donations made through the website will go to Hurst’s sister to cover her medical expenses and time off work, according to Hurst’s page.
Many of Hurst’s “New Black” co-stars have been sharing the link to her YouCaring page on social media.
“Michelle Hurst, aka “Miss Claudette”, was injured in a very bad car accident. More info @ fundraising page,” wrote Piper Kerman, who authored the memoir upon which the series is based. Added Natasha Lyonne: “Please give what you can to help Michelle Hurst – the amazing actress who plays Ms. Claudette on OITNB,” along with a link to the page.
- Mr. Robinson Debuts Today, August 5
- Call Her 'Chief': Kim Royster Promoted to Highest Position Ever Held by Black Woman in NYPD
- NAACP Sponsors ‘America’s Journey for Justice’
- Black Male International Relations Student Returns From One Year Study in China
- THE (08-05-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- LISTEN to Newcomer Babs Savage's New Hit 'La La' - A Unique Twist on the Delfonic's Classic
- #AaliyahForMAC: Aaliyah Fans Start Petition for MAC Line
- Naomi Campbell Convicted of Assault By Italian Court
- Whites Burst into Black Girl's Birthday Party Holding Confed Flags (Watch)
- Ice & Coco Expecting Baby Girl, Talk is Key to a Successful Marriage (VIDEO)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here