*OWN co-presidents Sheri Salata and Erik Logan discussed a number of new programs for the network during its presentation this morning at the Television Critics Association press tour in Pasadena.
As previously reported, Tyler Perry will deliver another scripted series to OWN – this one about moms who ban together to tackle life’s challenges – large and small.
“Single Moms Club,” based on Perry’s forthcoming feature film of the same name, will premiere in the fall as an hourlong drama. It centers on a group of single mothers from different backgrounds who are brought together by an incident at their children’s school. They form a support group that helps them find humor in life’s turmoil, and inner strength to overcome their personal challenges.
Perry will write, produce and direct the series under his Tyler Perry Studios banner, which has an overall deal with OWN.
The feature film hits theaters in March with Perry starring alongside Terry Crews, Amy Smart and Nia Long, among others. The writer-director-producer will not have an on-screen presence in the OWN series. Instead, the TV version will feature an entirely new cast.
The order comes after one Perry’s “The Haves and the Have Nots” returned for its sophomore season Tuesday to record ratings, averaging 2.8 million viewers at 9 p.m., making it the most-watched episode to date.
Across the entire network catalog, it’s shy of only “Oprah’s Next Chapter” episodes featuring Bobbi Kristina Houston and Lance Armstrong for an all-time high.
In addition to the Perry order, OWN also set the premiere dates for its Lindsay Lohan docuseries “Lindsay,” which will bow Sunday, March 9 at 10 p.m. Critics got a first look at the series with an extended promo that showed the frenzy of Lohan’s post-rehab life, as well as a brief slip into her old habits when it comes to keeping her professional commitments.
The promo showed Salata briefing Oprah on how Lohan cancelled multiple film shoots for the reality series, and Oprah having a sit down with the troubled actress to assess her commitment to the show. Listen below.
Additionally, docuseries “Deion’s Family Playbook” starring former NFL star Deion Sanders and Tracey Edmonds, and the new series “Love in the City,” will debut Sunday, March 1 at 10 and Saturday, April 12 at 10 p.m., respectively.
While discussing the show, Sanders and Edmonds told critics Thursday the story of how they met. Listen below.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Theodore 'Ted' Myles Terry's 'Turn Me Loose' (Life & Times of Dick Gregory) a Success
- Ringside Update/ Thurman vs Porter A Clash of Young Titans
- EUR EXCLUSIVE: 'The Legend of Tarzan' Press Junket
- THE (06-29-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- The Legends of Bad A** Women: 'Tarzan' Ain't the Only One with a Jane
- 'Star Trek Beyond' Trailer Features 'Sledgehammer' from Rihanna (WATCH)
- Jennifer Hudson Signs W/ Epic Records
- Stacey Dash Announces Her Own Political Party, 'Dash America'
- Trick Daddy is Spitting Mad ... About Some Woman in Viral Video
- BET Drops Trailer for New Edition Biopic [Watch]
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here