*A first look at the Anita Hill documentary to be released on March 21 has hit the web.
Directed by Academy Award-winning filmmaker Freida Mock, the movie premiered at the Sundance Film Festival to sold out screenings. The trailer opens with the question, “Who here knows about Anita Hill?” The woman asking the question to a room full of young black girls is met with blank stares.
“Anita” depicts Hill’s struggle while accusing Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas of sexual harassment in 1991. Her testimony during the subsequent Senate hearings set off a firestorm of debates around race and sexism.
President George Bush, Sr. nominated Thomas to the Supreme Court to replace Thurgood Marshall on the bench. During that time, Anita Hill’s testimony to the FBI about sexual harassment she said she experienced while working with Thomas leaked to the press, calling for a series of hearings to investigate Thomas’ character. However, many observers and critics have said that it seemed the one who was being investigated and “vilified” was Anita Hill.
Some of the accusations included, “leaving pubes on his soda cans just so he could ask about it aloud” and “chats about bestiality and his penis’ nickname, among other things,” as summarized by Jezebel.
In a recent interview with the Los Angeles Times, Hill says she doesn’t regret testifying.
In 1991, when I was called to testify — I was actually subpoenaed — I set myself a goal to truthfully talk about the experience I had with Clarence Thomas because I thought, and I still think, that it reflected on his ability to be an impartial judge in any case involving the law, but certainly any case involving civil rights, inequality issues. Having done that, yes, it was worth it. I have no regrets.
Hill is currently a professor of social policy, law and women’s studies at Brandeis University’s Heller School of Social Policy and Management. She’s also an author and speaker.
Watch the “Anita” trailer below.
- Deya Gets Direct with Single Men (WATCH)
- Kendrick Lamar Responds to Geraldo Rivera's Crazy Criticism
- BET Awards Fashion on Fleek (Watch)
- ‘Star Trek's’ George Takei: Clarence Thomas is ‘A Clown in Blackface’ (WATCH)
- Shocking Radiation Experiments on Black Children Left Holes in Head (Watch)
- Lupita Nyong’o Joins the Fight Against Elephant Poaching
- Tiger Woods in Denial Mode About Affair with Fellow Golfer’s Ex-Wife
- Jesse Jackson Blasts Twitter for Lack of Black and Minority Employees
- TMZ Claims Someone is Shopping Bobbi Kristina's Death Bed Photo
- Dwyane Wade Resigns with the Miami Heat.
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here