*Jason Roberts, a host on the YouTube channel Simple Misfits, decided to replicate a situation he recently encountered when calling out AAA for help getting into his locked car.
Roberts didn’t understand the looks he was getting from people questioning the motives of a mechanic who was only trying to help. Then it hit him — they were suspicious because, unlike him, the mechanic was black.
For his YouTube channel, he filmed a similar scenario so that everyone could witness the same unacceptable double standard that he had. He didn’t realize how intense the response would be.
When Roberts attempted to break into his car, he set off the alarm again and again, but received only a few raised eyebrows. When actor Quentin Brunson took his turn, Los Angeles police were on the scene within two minutes, greeting him with profanity and a harsh attitude.
“Let me see your f**king hands,” ordered the first cop to arrive. “Get up against the wall.”
Roberts stepped in immediately, but heavy questioning followed. “One thing that he was telling me that was really surprising is that there was a female cop — I believe she was Caucasian — she came up to [Brunson] and she asked, ‘Oh, why are you so nervous? What’s wrong, why are you trembling?'” Roberts told The Huffington Post.
According to Roberts’ account, Brunson calmly explained to the cop that he’d never been arrested before. The police officer responded, “You’ve never been arrested before?”
Roberts’ goal for the experiment, he said, was to raise awareness. The video is spreading on the Web just days after Michael Dunn, a white man who fired on a group of black teenagers in Florida, killing one, was convicted on three attempted murder counts but escaped his most serious charge of first-degree murder. Dunn’s verdict has revived conversations about how white and black Americans face markedly different levels of suspicion and hostility in many situations.
Watch below (warning: NSFW language):
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Jameis Winston: ‘Lions Do Not Accept Opinions of F*cking Sheep!’
- ‘Troubled Loner’ vs. ‘Thugs’: Why the Loaded Language in Crime Stories?
- The Journal of Steffanie Rivers: Donald Trump Is the Master of the Blame Game
- THE (12-01-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Trump Stands By Claim that ‘Most’ Black Pastors Endorse Him
- Watch Bryshere 'Yazz' Gray Freestyle on 'The Talk'
- Travel Much? Don't Do These 12 'Offensive' American Things (Watch)
- Ringside Update/ Cotto vs Canelo: A Clash Of The Latin Titans
- Call for Contestants! 'Heel & Toe' Reality Show
- Compton Mayor Aja Brown and Rapper YG Host Community Thanksgiving Dinner [VIDEO]
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here