*A civil case against Da Brat is on its way to court as jury selection starts today.
The rapper (born Shawntae Harris) is accused of accused of breaking a rum bottle over an Atlanta Falcons cheerleader’s head during a 2007 Halloween party altercation.
The party took place at a club owned by So-So Def Recordings CEO Jermaine Dupri. A civil suit was reportedly filed two years later in 2009.
According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Da Brat faces civil allegations in Cobb County Superior Court that her actions caused Shayla Stevens “permanent facial scarring, neurological impairment and severe mental pain.”
In a statement released last Wednesday, Stevens’ attorneys also claim that their client’s injuries also hindered her showbiz aspirations.
“Ms. Stevens suffered permanent damage to her face including possible neurological damage, forcing her to relinquish her duties with the Atlanta Falcons and to give up a budding acting career with an appearance on Tyler Perry’s ‘House of Payne’ television show,” the attorneys stated.
At the time of the incident, Da Brat was living in Atlanta and Chicago. The entertainer is noted for being the first female rapper to sell 1 million copies of an album, for her 1994 debut “Funkdafied.”
- Tami Roman Reveals Health Issues Causing Pregnancy Woes
- Jay Pharoah Talks About His Battle with Depression (WATCH)
- Oprah Winfrey’s OWN Adds Megachurch Drama Series 'Greenleaf'
- Russell Simmons Signs New First-Look Deal with HBO, Sets Def Comedy Jam Anniversary Special
- Rinkins Report: Author Offers Recipe for Leadership Success
- Raynetta Turner: Mother of Eight is Latest Victim in String of Black Female Jail Cell Deaths
- HBO to Air Documentary About Jordan Davis, Teen Killed Over Loud Music
- Utah Considers Changing Name of Negro Bill Canyon
- NBC Reportedly Close to Signing Beyonce for ‘The Wiz Live’
- Lupita Nyong’o to Make NY Stage Debut in Danai Gurira's ‘Eclipsed’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here