*The Oprah Winfrey Network is stretching its scripted slate into TV movies, and has chosen as its first film an adaption of “My Name Is Love: The Darlene Love Story.”
Love, who penned the memoir and is attached to executive produce, is an iconic voice of the 1960s on The Crystals hits “He’s a Rebel” and “He’s Sure the Boy I Love” and tracks like “Today I Met the Boy I’m Gonna Marry” and “Christmas (Baby Please Come Home).” Currently, she is the backup singer featured in the Oscar-nominated hit documentary “20 Feet From Stardom.”
“The fantastic life journey of music great Darlene Love is the perfect choice for our first original scripted movie,” said OWN president Sheri Salata. “There are a handful of stories brought to the screen of daring American women who walked through fire and back to make their dreams come true and Darlene is one of the heroes on that list. From her first hit song to her darkest days cleaning houses in Beverly Hills to make ends meet, to the triumphant comeback that made rock and roll history, Darlene is a true living legend who worked with many of the greatest talents in music from Elvis Presley and Tom Jones to Frank Sinatra, Aretha Franklin and Bruce Springsteen.”
Winfrey and Morgan Neville are also on board to executive produce.
The network has also licensed the first broadcast window on cable television for “20 Feet From Stardom,” starting in 2015. The documentary is nominated for an Academy Award this year.
Love has been riding a wave of fame for the last year since the documentary exposed the famous backup singer’s rich career.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Toni Braxton to Star in Lifetime Biopic 'Un-Break My Heart'
- NeYo Shares Proposal Video, Slams Ex's Sterilization Claims [WATCH]
- Staples Singers Limited Edition 4-CD Box Set to be Released Nov. 13 from Stax/Concord Music Group
- Whoopi Goldberg Blasts Pro-Lifers: ‘Get Out of My Vagina!’
- Jennifer Hudson Dishes on Film Roles, Style and Weight Loss
- Sparkletainment Presents 'Loves Freedom' a One-woman Stage Performance (WATCH)
- 'Why You Always Lying' Creator Calls Viral Success 'Crazy'
- Deitrick Haddon Unveils Cover of 'MasterPiece'
- How to Successfully Balance Family, Parenting and Entertainment
- Terrence Howard Repays Rapper Petey Pablo with Role on 'Empire'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here