*The Oprah Winfrey Network is stretching its scripted slate into TV movies, and has chosen as its first film an adaption of “My Name Is Love: The Darlene Love Story.”
Love, who penned the memoir and is attached to executive produce, is an iconic voice of the 1960s on The Crystals hits “He’s a Rebel” and “He’s Sure the Boy I Love” and tracks like “Today I Met the Boy I’m Gonna Marry” and “Christmas (Baby Please Come Home).” Currently, she is the backup singer featured in the Oscar-nominated hit documentary “20 Feet From Stardom.”
“The fantastic life journey of music great Darlene Love is the perfect choice for our first original scripted movie,” said OWN president Sheri Salata. “There are a handful of stories brought to the screen of daring American women who walked through fire and back to make their dreams come true and Darlene is one of the heroes on that list. From her first hit song to her darkest days cleaning houses in Beverly Hills to make ends meet, to the triumphant comeback that made rock and roll history, Darlene is a true living legend who worked with many of the greatest talents in music from Elvis Presley and Tom Jones to Frank Sinatra, Aretha Franklin and Bruce Springsteen.”
Winfrey and Morgan Neville are also on board to executive produce.
The network has also licensed the first broadcast window on cable television for “20 Feet From Stardom,” starting in 2015. The documentary is nominated for an Academy Award this year.
Love has been riding a wave of fame for the last year since the documentary exposed the famous backup singer’s rich career.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Ludacris' Secret to Making it Rain and Having Good Skin (WATCH)
- LL Cool J Charms at ‘Hamilton' - Gabrielle Union Slams Hollywood
- Peter Thomas and Cynthia Bailey Catch New Legal Battle
- Designer of Prince’s Purple Rain, Lovesexy & Parade Album Covers Reminisces
- Prince’s Music Vault Reportedly ‘Drilled Open’ by Bank Overseeing Estate
- Four 911 Calls Made from Paisley Park Between 2013 and Prince’s Death
- Joy Reid to Take Over Melissa Harris Perry’s Former MSNBC Timeslots
- EUR on the Red Carpet with Key and Peele's New Funny Flick, 'Keanu' (Watch)
- Larry Wilmore on Hosting Final WHCD Under Obama: ‘I’m Very Nervous’
- Beyonce’s Protégé Duo Chloe x Halle Premiere EP ‘Sugar Symphony’ (Listen)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here