*Nicki Minaj has offended a slew of folk with the cover art for her new single.
The rapper uses the iconic photo of Malcolm X peering out of his window holding an M1 carbine as the cover art for her new single, “Lookin A** N**ga.” It’s slated to appear both on “Young Money: Rise of an Empire,” due March 11, and on Minaj’s forthcoming album, “The Pink Print.”
She debuted the n-word drenched song Wednesday with a Nabil-directed video, and reaction to her use of the photo was swift and mostly negative – particularly since it comes during Black History Month.
“Say what you will about his days as Detroit Red hustling on the streets of Harlem, there is nothing N-word like about Malcolm X,” Alvin Aqua Blance writes at HipHopWired. “To equate a man that literally died for his cause — the advancement of human rights for people of color — is just wrong on multiple levels.”
The original version of the photograph was first published in Ebony magazine in 1964.
Here’s a sampling of tweets from outraged fans, courtesy of USA Today:
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- 'Star Trek Beyond' Trailer Features 'Sledgehammer' from Rihanna (WATCH)
- Jennifer Hudson Signs W/ Epic Records
- Stacey Dash Announces Her Own Political Party, 'Dash America'
- Trick Daddy is Spitting Mad ... About Some Woman in Viral Video
- BET Drops Trailer for New Edition Biopic [Watch]
- WNBA's Candace Parker Shares Handwritten Recruitment Letter from Pat Summitt
- No Designers Wanted to Dress Leslie Jones for 'Ghostbusters' Red Carpet
- Drake Struggles With 'Work Banter' in Cut ‘SNL’ Sketch (Watch)
- Stranger Defends Teen Harassed for Selling Candy Outside Target (Watch)
- Chris Brown Responds to Recent Exits from ‘People Claiming to Be My Team’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here