*Nicki Minaj has offended a slew of folk with the cover art for her new single.
The rapper uses the iconic photo of Malcolm X peering out of his window holding an M1 carbine as the cover art for her new single, “Lookin A** N**ga.” It’s slated to appear both on “Young Money: Rise of an Empire,” due March 11, and on Minaj’s forthcoming album, “The Pink Print.”
She debuted the n-word drenched song Wednesday with a Nabil-directed video, and reaction to her use of the photo was swift and mostly negative – particularly since it comes during Black History Month.
“Say what you will about his days as Detroit Red hustling on the streets of Harlem, there is nothing N-word like about Malcolm X,” Alvin Aqua Blance writes at HipHopWired. “To equate a man that literally died for his cause — the advancement of human rights for people of color — is just wrong on multiple levels.”
The original version of the photograph was first published in Ebony magazine in 1964.
Here’s a sampling of tweets from outraged fans, courtesy of USA Today:
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Black Greek Lesbians Hijack Traditions of Omega Psi Phi
- 'The Haves and The Have Nots' Return with a Bang [WATCH]
- 'One More Time' - New CD by Larry Buford
- Huh? Blac Chyna Flies First Class, Rob Kardashian Flies Coach
- Will Downing Drops 1st Full Length CD in Six Years 'Black Pearls'
- NeNe Leakes Blasts Luenell & Kenya Moore During Stand-Up
- Oprah's Convo with T. D. Jakes About Mega Church Series 'Greenleaf' (Photos)
- George Zimmerman Brags About Selling Gun That Killed Trayvon
- Presenting the EURweb - Kashif & Friends, Black Music Month Celebration On-Line Contest!
- Angela Simmons Confirms Pregnancy: 'We Are Overjoyed'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here