*Nicki Minaj has offended a slew of folk with the cover art for her new single.
The rapper uses the iconic photo of Malcolm X peering out of his window holding an M1 carbine as the cover art for her new single, “Lookin A** N**ga.” It’s slated to appear both on “Young Money: Rise of an Empire,” due March 11, and on Minaj’s forthcoming album, “The Pink Print.”
She debuted the n-word drenched song Wednesday with a Nabil-directed video, and reaction to her use of the photo was swift and mostly negative – particularly since it comes during Black History Month.
“Say what you will about his days as Detroit Red hustling on the streets of Harlem, there is nothing N-word like about Malcolm X,” Alvin Aqua Blance writes at HipHopWired. “To equate a man that literally died for his cause — the advancement of human rights for people of color — is just wrong on multiple levels.”
The original version of the photograph was first published in Ebony magazine in 1964.
Here’s a sampling of tweets from outraged fans, courtesy of USA Today:
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Supreme Court Associate Justice Antonin Scalia Found Dead
- Steph, Ayesha & Michelle Have Fun with 'Banana' Song (WATCH)
- TV Review: The Black Panthers Van Guard of the Revolution
- Wendy Williams Blasts Ciara Over $15 Million Future Lawsuit
- Must See! Barack and Michelle's Valentine's Day Greetings to Each Other (WATCH)
- Black Stars Support Oscars At NAACP Image Awards (WATCH)
- Coalition of Police Officers Support Beyoncé’ & Formation Music Video
- Tina Campbell Calls Husband's Cheating Scandal 'Empowering'
- Regina King Talks ‘American Crime’ and Andre 3000
- Ciara Admits Struggle to Abstain From Sex With Russell Wilson
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here