*Nicki Minaj has offended a slew of folk with the cover art for her new single.
The rapper uses the iconic photo of Malcolm X peering out of his window holding an M1 carbine as the cover art for her new single, “Lookin A** N**ga.” It’s slated to appear both on “Young Money: Rise of an Empire,” due March 11, and on Minaj’s forthcoming album, “The Pink Print.”
She debuted the n-word drenched song Wednesday with a Nabil-directed video, and reaction to her use of the photo was swift and mostly negative – particularly since it comes during Black History Month.
“Say what you will about his days as Detroit Red hustling on the streets of Harlem, there is nothing N-word like about Malcolm X,” Alvin Aqua Blance writes at HipHopWired. “To equate a man that literally died for his cause — the advancement of human rights for people of color — is just wrong on multiple levels.”
The original version of the photograph was first published in Ebony magazine in 1964.
Here’s a sampling of tweets from outraged fans, courtesy of USA Today:
- John Legend Taking His Talents to ‘The SpongeBob Musical’
- ‘Back to This B**ch’: Why Nicki Minaj Checked Miley Cyrus on Live TV
- Black Twitter Drags Rebel Wilson Over VMA ‘Stripper Police’ Bit
- Nile Rodgers Gets BMI Icon Award - EUR was on the Scene (WATCH)
- New Comic 'Raising Dion': Single, Black Mother with Superhuman Son
- Harris Co., TX Sherriff Classifies Black Lives Matter as ‘Rhetoric’ Leading to Deputy’s Death
- Terrence Howard Tweets He's Still Attached to 3rd Wife Mira Pak
- 9-Yr-Old Ferguson Girl, Killed as She Did Homework, Remembered on Sunday
- Richard Pryor Biopic Officially Adds Oprah Winfrey and Eddie Murphy
- Kobe and Shaq Squash Years Long Beef on Podcast (LISTEN)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here