EURweb’s Lee Bailey, sat down with the thespian to talk about the film and Whitaker’s firsthand experience with the mentally ill.
Lee Bailey: Is your character crazy?
Forest Whitaker: “I don’t think he is crazy. Think he is struggling with his own pain and issue. He has been trying to keep his life together. He lost his mom and he doesn’t understand why and as a result he’s taking medication; that doesn’t make you crazy.”
FW: “The movie is a lot about dealing with your past pains and having to deal with past issues and address them and look at them to see about moving forward and this character has all those things. He’s a very complicated character in a lot of ways with mental challenges. To play all these things while seeking the truth was an interesting ground to walk.”
LB: How did you prepare for this role? What was it like playing this kind of character?
FW: “I did research. One of the first jobs I had in college was at a half way house for the mentally disturbed. Personally and internally it wasn’t fun to play this kind of role. The experience with the cast was fun.”
In the film, a successful author and spiritual advisor (Anthony Mackie) takes on a troubled man (Whitaker) as a client, completely unaware that the man’s fixation on his mother’s death will soon put his life in jeopardy.
“Repentance” is the first major film production of CodeBlack Films since its merger with Lions Gate Entertainment.
Watch the multi-award winner talk about his new role here.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Beyonce’s Protégé Duo Chloe x Halle Premiere EP ‘Sugar Symphony’ (Listen)
- Rookie Cop Beats Handcuffed Woman & it's Caught on Camera! (WATCH)
- Prince Death Probe: Authorities Looking for 'Friendly' Docs who Prescribed Pills
- Karrine Steffans: ‘I Was One of Jay Z’s Beckys Back in 2000’
- Drake and Nicki Minaj No Longer Talk, but He Has ‘Genuine Energy’ With Rihanna
- Jonathan Butler's Inspired Journey Pt2: 'I Am That I Am' (WATCH)
- Parenting Blog ‘Mom Junction’ Lists ’85 Popular Ghetto Baby Names’ For Your Child
- Prince’s ‘Take Me With U’ Jacket from ‘Purple Rain’ Up for Auction
- Will & Jada Launch New Initiative Under Obama’s ‘My Brother’s Keeper’
- Duane and Tisha Campbell-Martin Ordered to Turn Over ‘Dr. Ken’ Paychecks
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here