*After the huge box office success of “Ride Along,” Universal Pictures hurried up and put the sequel in motion.
Tim Story will return to direct “Ride Along 2,” and according to Deadline.com, Ice Cube and Kevin Hart are close to securing a deal to reprise their roles as the quick-witted security guard (Hart) trying to get with Cube’s sister.
The film debuted five weeks ago on the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday weekend to a record opening of $41.5 million. It has since grossed more than $120 million worldwide as of this weekend.
Will Packer and Cube’s Cube Vision (Ice Cube and Matt Alvarez) are coming back to produce from a script by Phil Hay and Matt Manfredi.
A late June/early July start is planned and all are hard at work finalizing the script which is expected to have more action and, according to Deadline’s Anita Busch, more multi-cultural to expand the demos.
“Smart move, all, if you want to expand into the lucrative Latin American and European markets,” writes Busch. “Yes, it’s comedy but it’s also business.”
“Ride Along” is currently in six territories, with expansions into other markets yet to come, but it is getting 97% of its total box office ($121.2M) from domestic. Likewise, the bankable “Think Like a Man” also had 95% of its box office coming from the U.S.
Story, who directed “Fantastic Four” and its sequel “Silver Surfer,” is finishing up “Think Like A Man, Too” with Hart, Michael Ealy and Packer – which is scheduled to open June 20.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- The Socialist's Journal: 'Meternity Leave'
- Meet the Black Businessman Giving Ex-Cons, Veterans, and Homeless Support for Success
- THE (05-03-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Ringside Update/Ortiz vs Berto II The Second Chapter
- Johnny Gill Says New Album to Accompany New Edition Biopic
- Bobby Shmurda to Sue NYPD Over False Arrest & Gun Charges
- Thanks to Stephen Curry, NBA To See Record Playoff Viewers
- Moya Angela: Dreamgirls' 'Effie' Speaks Exclusively to EURweb
- Aretha Franklin Covers 'Purple Rain' at International Jazz Day (WATCH)
- New Woman Claims She’s Prince’s Long-Lost Half Sister; Seeks Piece of Estate
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here