*Chris Brown will stay in anger management rehab, despite a prosecutor’s attempt Monday to send him to jail.
Superior Court Judge James R. Brandlin turned down the prosecution’s motion on Monday, citing the singer’s continued good behavior and progress in his rehabilitation program.
Brandlin said probation officials reported that Brown is doing well in treatment and must remain in the program unless he is given permission by the court or his probation officer.
Brown was sentenced to three months of in-patient rehab in November after he was arrested and charged with misdemeanor assault over an altercation several weeks earlier in Washington D.C.
A prosecutor sought to have Brown thrown in jail during Monday’s hearing and called for a full probation violation hearing, which would have resulted in evidence about the D.C. case being presented to Brandlin. Los Angeles Deputy District Attorney Mary Murray cited the new case as the basis for removing Brown from rehab and placing him in custody.
“He continues to pose an increasingly violent danger to society,” Murray wrote in a motion, citing the D.C. case and an incident in which Brown threw a brick through his mother’s car window after a therapy session.
Murray said she made the motion on Monday because she now had information about the man whose nose was allegedly broken in the attack that allegedly involved Brown and his bodyguard.
Brown’s attorney Mark Geragos argued that the only changes in Brown’s behavior since the December hearing were positive, and the court should wait to see how the D.C. case is resolved before having an evidentiary hearing. Brown’s lawyers have said the singer is not guilty and rejected a plea deal; the case is due back in court on Feb. 20.
Brown remains on probation for his 2009 attack on his then-girlfriend Rihanna hours before the GRAMMY Awards.
Brandlin ordered Brown to return to court on Feb. 28 to update him on his progress. He said the singer had already completed 191 of 1,000 hours of community labor that were ordered after Brandlin found Brown violated his probation after failing to exchange information properly after a car crash last year.
He said probation officials reported that Brown “appears to have a more serious and responsible demeanor” since checking into rehab.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Puff Daddy Announces Retirement from Music to Focus on Acting
- ‘Captain America: Civil War’ Cast, Directors Talk Black Panther, Spider-Man and ‘Selfish’ Cap
- Twitter User Shares Story About Horrifying Rape at Spelman
- Texas Mother of Kids 'Tied Up in Yard Like Dogs' Found in Cali (Watch)
- Ohio Son (Trey Potter) Takes Mom (MelRo Potter) to Her First Prom (WATCH)
- DEA Joins Prince Ivestigation; Kendrick Lamar Joined Him in New Video (WATCH)
- Tyler Perry's Atlanta Mansion Sells at Historic Proportions! (Pictures)
- Larry Wilmore: Shut Up! - N**ger * N**ga Are Two Different Things
- FAMU Grad Single Mom (Taylor Hunter) Testament to Power of Perseverance
- THE (05-05-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here