*(Washington, DC) – The NAACP issued the following statements in response to President Obama’s new “My Brother’s Keeper” Initiative, a program to build ladders of opportunity for boys and young men of color.
From Lorraine C. Miller, NAACP Interim President and CEO:
“The positive force of this groundbreaking initiative will help counter the negatives influences these young men experience daily and will place them on a path to success,” stated NAACP Interim President and CEO Lorraine C. Miller.
From Sammie Dow, NAACP Youth and College Director:
“President Obama’s announcement represents a significant milestone for young people of color throughout this country,” stated Sammie Dow, NAACP Youth and College Director. The “My Brother’s Keeper” initiative shows what can be done when we’re all willing to work together for the causes of justice and equality. As we quickly move towards the 50th anniversary commemoration of freedom summer, we do so with a renewed sense of urgency, zeal and pride.”
Founded in 1909, the NAACP is the nation’s oldest and largest nonpartisan civil rights organization. Its members throughout the United States and the world are the premier advocates for civil rights in their communities. You can read more about the NAACP’s work and our five “Game Changer” issue areas
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Theodore 'Ted' Myles Terry's 'Turn Me Loose' (Life & Times of Dick Gregory) a Success
- Ringside Update/ Thurman vs Porter A Clash of Young Titans
- EUR EXCLUSIVE: 'The Legend of Tarzan' Press Junket
- THE (06-29-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- The Legends of Bad A** Women: 'Tarzan' Ain't the Only One with a Jane
- 'Star Trek Beyond' Trailer Features 'Sledgehammer' from Rihanna (WATCH)
- Jennifer Hudson Signs W/ Epic Records
- Stacey Dash Announces Her Own Political Party, 'Dash America'
- Trick Daddy is Spitting Mad ... About Some Woman in Viral Video
- BET Drops Trailer for New Edition Biopic [Watch]
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here