*(Washington, DC) – The NAACP issued the following statements in response to President Obama’s new “My Brother’s Keeper” Initiative, a program to build ladders of opportunity for boys and young men of color.
From Lorraine C. Miller, NAACP Interim President and CEO:
“The positive force of this groundbreaking initiative will help counter the negatives influences these young men experience daily and will place them on a path to success,” stated NAACP Interim President and CEO Lorraine C. Miller.
From Sammie Dow, NAACP Youth and College Director:
“President Obama’s announcement represents a significant milestone for young people of color throughout this country,” stated Sammie Dow, NAACP Youth and College Director. The “My Brother’s Keeper” initiative shows what can be done when we’re all willing to work together for the causes of justice and equality. As we quickly move towards the 50th anniversary commemoration of freedom summer, we do so with a renewed sense of urgency, zeal and pride.”
Founded in 1909, the NAACP is the nation’s oldest and largest nonpartisan civil rights organization. Its members throughout the United States and the world are the premier advocates for civil rights in their communities. You can read more about the NAACP’s work and our five “Game Changer” issue areas
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Prince Update: Family Gifted Big Bucks by George Lopez
- Latice Crawford Releases ‘Diary of a Church Girl’ May 20
- Wilmore's 'My Nigga' to Obama Gets Black Twitter Approval, But not Najee Ali
- Aisha Tyler: African-American Teens Must 'Be Brave' About College
- Poet Pens Stunning Piece About Appropriating Black Slang (WATCH)
- Oprah's Not Worried About Flack From Church Folk
- Prince Entered Treatment Program for Hip Pain & Medication Use
- Kehoe Brothers to Direct R-rated Action-comedy for Tyler Perry
- Beyonce's Lemonade Drama, Prince Updates, Boycotting Target and More! | BHL's This Week
- WATCH President Obama Crack on Trump, Bernie and More at WHCD
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here