*As part of her public campaign to repair her public image, Paula Deen did a cover story for People magazine, and in the interview compared her struggles to come bak after being labeled a racist to the NFL’s first openly gay prospect, Michael Sam.
“I feel like ‘embattled’ or ‘disgraced’ will always follow my name. It’s like that black football player who recently came out,” Deen told People, which hits newsstands Friday. “He said, ‘I just want to be known as a football player. I don’t want to be known as a gay football player.’ I know exactly what he’s saying.”
Sam, the 24-year-old former University of Missouri defensive lineman who publicly came out earlier this month, is currently eligible for the 2014 NFL Draft and could become the first openly gay, active NFL player in the league’s history.
Deen says she does not like being labeled a racist for a slur she claims to have used a “very long time ago.”
“I’m fighting to get my name back,” the former Food Network personality said.
On top of a $75-$100 million offer from private equity firm Najafi Cos. for her new company, Paula Deen Ventures, a company representative said earlier this month that it is currently speaking with several “TV networks, retail chains and other possible partners.” Food Network is not one of them.
Deen also said the public downfall she experienced last summer left her unable to get out of bed in the morning, because it felt like her “world was crashing down again” every passing day.
And since television personalities Phil Robertson (“Duck Dynasty”) and Nigella Lawson (“The Taste”) endured scandals last year without any noticeable damage to their careers, Deen has developed newfound “empathy” for those scrutinized by the media.
“It’s amazing that some people are given passes and some people are crucified,” Deen said. ”I have new empathy for these situations, though. My dad always told me, ‘Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.’”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- He Used to Call Me Ma’am' - A Look Back at Kobe Bryant
- $1.5 Million Bail for Cop Charged in Laquan McDonald Murder
- Keyshia Cole Casually Mentions She’s ‘Engaged’, and Not to Birdman
- Donald Trump Cancels Meeting with Black Pastors
- Eyrkah Badu to Iggy Azalea: ‘What You’re Doing Is Definitely Not Rap’ (Watch)
- Meet Ice-T and Coco’s New Baby Girl, Chanel Nicole (Pic)
- Jury Selection Begins in First Trial of Freddie Gray Case
- For Every 3 Pointer Made Steph Curry Donates a Life-Saving Bed-Net to a Child in Africa
- Chrissy Teigen’s Planned Parenthood Comments Spark Twitter Beef
- Kym Whitley: Inspiring Adoptive Parents While 'Building Memories' [EUR Exclusive]
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here