*After scooping up three Grammys and singing with Stevie Wonder, Daft Punk and Nile Rodgers during last month’s awards ceremony, Pharrell Williams will follow it up with a performance at the Academy Awards, it was announced Tuesday.
The singer-songwriter-producer, who has also served as a music consultant for the Academy Awards, will take the Dolby Theatre stage to perform “Happy,” the “Despicable Me 2” track that is nominated for best original song.
Williams previously released what is described as the first-ever 24-hour music video for the track, with an online playback that corresponds to the local time of the listener. The lighthearted video features guest spots from Odd Future’s Tyler, the Creator and Earl Sweatshirt, Steve Martin and Steve Carell, among others.
If Williams wins, he will be the third-ever rapper to receive an Oscar, following Eminem for “Lose Yourself” from “8 Mile” and Three 6 Mafia for “It’s Hard Out Here for a Pimp” from “Hustle & Flow.”
Also competing in the category is U2’s “Ordinary Love” from “Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom,” “Let It Go” from Frozen, by Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez and with versions performed by Idina Menzel and Demi Lovato, and “The Moon Song” from “Her,” by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs’ lead singer Karen O.
The original song nomination for “Alone Yet Not Alone” from “Alone Yet Not Alone” by Bruce Broughton and Dennis Spiegel was rescinded; the board concluded that the song’s nominated writer, Bruce Broughton, a former governor and current music branch executive committee member, “had emailed [some of the other 239] members of the branch to make them aware of his submission during the nominations voting period,” the Academy said in a statement. Supporters of the song have since launched petitions to reinstate the nomination.
The Oscars, hosted by Ellen DeGeneres and produced by Craig Zadan and Neil Meron, will air on Sunday, Mar. 2 on ABC.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- THE (07-01-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Nia Long on ‘Boyz n the Hood’ 25th Anniversary & Becoming an Oscar Voter (WATCH)
- Birdman: 'I Got A Million Dollars Under My Mattress'
- #DeyaDoesEssence! Meet Me in the Big Easy!
- Stacey Dash Filed for Bankruptcy in 2004, Had $7 in Bank Before Fiance’s Handouts
- Racist Woman to Reporter: ‘Get the F*ck Out of Here, You Stupid F*cking N*gger’ (WATCH)
- Damon Dash Explains Issue with BeyHive Harassing His Daughters
- Supermarkets: Please 'Assume' We Would 'Like a Bag' (Unless We Say Different)
- LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Paul, Wives 'Having 2 Much Fun on Vacay' (Watch)
- How Prince Ended Up on Mobb Deep's Track ‘Thou Shall Not Kill’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here