*”Project Runway” winner Dom Streater, the show’s first-ever African-American champ, has presented her first collection during New York Fashion Week.
The 25-year-old designer on Thursday presented her 27-piece Fall/Winter 2014 collection, called “Prima,” in a light filled studio in downtown New York City to a host of editors, bloggers and fashion insiders, reports the Huffington Post.
The pieces – featuring abstract floral prints in berry and dusty rose hues as well as high contrast black-and-white patterns – was inspired by a photograph of the Russian ballerina, Anna Pavlova.
“It’s this really ethereal, wild child photo — but also really romantic,” the Moore College of Art & Design graduate told The Huffington Post. After researching the dancer further, Streater learned that Pavlova had a rebellious side and set out to translate that same fearless and self-assured spirit into each piece.
Streater says she doesn’t feel any pressure forging a successful career in an industry that has very few designers of color and has struggled with issues of diversity.
“I don’t think the expectations for me should be any different from any other designers who have won. The only expectations I have is that my designs are good every season and that’s the only thing I want to deliver,” Streater told HuffPost. “In the past five years I’ve seen more growth in diversity within the industry then I have ever seen. So I think it’s definitely something we’re moving towards.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Idris Elba Splits With Naiyana Garth After Night With Naomi Campbell (Report)
- Black Sheriff Gets KKK Vibe From Beyoncé Super Bowl Halftime Performance
- Kanye West Defends Bill Cosby; Tweets Comic is 'Innocent'
- 'Family Feud' Contestant Can't Believe She's the 'Worst Ever' (WATCH)
- Target Wins Lawsuit Filed by Rosa and Raymond Parks Institute
- 'The Music of ‘Underground': Behind-the-Scenes with John Legend on Slave Thriller
- Lamar Odom On Way to Full Recovery; Almost Living on His Own
- Hillary Clinton Doesn’t Deserve the Black Vote. Here's why ...
- #BlackLivesMatter Activist Commits Suicide on Ohio Statehouse Steps
- Jubilee Project Video Discusses a ‘World Without Black People’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here