*”Project Runway” winner Dom Streater, the show’s first-ever African-American champ, has presented her first collection during New York Fashion Week.
The 25-year-old designer on Thursday presented her 27-piece Fall/Winter 2014 collection, called “Prima,” in a light filled studio in downtown New York City to a host of editors, bloggers and fashion insiders, reports the Huffington Post.
The pieces – featuring abstract floral prints in berry and dusty rose hues as well as high contrast black-and-white patterns – was inspired by a photograph of the Russian ballerina, Anna Pavlova.
“It’s this really ethereal, wild child photo — but also really romantic,” the Moore College of Art & Design graduate told The Huffington Post. After researching the dancer further, Streater learned that Pavlova had a rebellious side and set out to translate that same fearless and self-assured spirit into each piece.
Streater says she doesn’t feel any pressure forging a successful career in an industry that has very few designers of color and has struggled with issues of diversity.
“I don’t think the expectations for me should be any different from any other designers who have won. The only expectations I have is that my designs are good every season and that’s the only thing I want to deliver,” Streater told HuffPost. “In the past five years I’ve seen more growth in diversity within the industry then I have ever seen. So I think it’s definitely something we’re moving towards.”
- The Pulse of Entertainment: Dorien Wilson is ‘In The Cut’ on Bounce TV with Jackee’ Harry
- Celebs U Wish U Could Party with on Labor Day Weekend (PHOTOS)
- Gilbert Arenas' Assistant Convicted For Robbing Him of $2.1 Million
- Bobbi Kristina’s Family Upset Over Nick Gordon Visiting Gravesite: Report
- '1st Annual MADCatfish Blues Festival' Jumps Off Labor Day Weekend, at Santa Anita Park in Arcadia, CA.
- White Woman Throws Shoes at Talib Kweli for Talking #BlackLivesMatter
- ESPN’s Israel Gutierrez Comes Out Publicly: 'I'm Gay'
- Kareem Abdul Jabbar: Donald Trump's Campaign Will Ultimately Fail (Watch)
- Eazy E’s Daughter Says Suge Knight Did NOT Kill her Dad
- TNT Exclusive: Jazmin Truesdale Gives Black Comic Fans Heroes That Resemble Themselves (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here