*CBS has made some off-season changes in its NFL pregame show.
Longtime fixtures Shannon Sharpe and Dan Marino have been fired from “The NFL Today,” while newly retired tight end Tony Gonzalez will join the program for the upcoming season, the network confirmed.
“Having just stepped off the playing field, Tony brings a fresh and insightful perspective,” CBS Sports chairman Sean McManus said. “As a future Hall of Famer, we are excited for him to share his knowledge, experiences and opinions with our viewers.
Addressing his dismissal, Sharpe told TMZ, “Things happen. They made the best decision for them and now I have to make the best decision for me.”
The former NFL tight end says he has “no hard feelings” toward CBS, adding, “They’ve been great to me.”
As for Gonzalez, — Sharpe says they’re friends and he wishes Tony the best of luck.
“I know Tony wanted to do this so I’m happy for him and his family.”
McManus said in today’s announcement: “While we welcome Tony, we want to acknowledge Dan Marino and Shannon Sharpe who have contributed greatly to the success of The NFL Today for more than a decade. Dan and Shannon are true Hall of Famers on the field and in front of the camera. As they pursue other professional opportunities, we thank them for their hard work and dedication and wish them nothing but the best.”
According to TMZ, Shannon is currently considering his employment options.
“I have strong beliefs, ideas and passions. I can do more than just sports … I don’t want to box myself in,” he said.
- Kanye West Could've Been Highest Paid on Las Vegas Strip
- Reach Media Welcomes 'Gospel Traxx With Walt Baby Love' to its Urban Lineup
- Tyrese Gibson Responds to Forbes for ‘Green Lantern’ Shade
- Video: Tidal Releases Bizzy Crook's 'From Everything Came Nothing'
- Tasha Cobbs' 'One Place Live' Releases August 21 on Motown Gospel
- Tia Mowry and Pooch Hall Return for 'The Game' Finale
- Problem? Teen Vogue Uses Fair Models for African Braids Feature
- Bobby Seale, Black Panther Professor, Gives History Lesson to D'Angelo (Watch)
- Nick Gordon's Defense in Bobbi Kristina Case: Drugs Responsible
- Man Breaks Down After Recognizing Judge As Former Classmate (WATCH)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here