*The Goodman Theatre in Chicago is the latest company to join a national effort to stage a night of short plays about the killing of Trayvon Martin.
According to The AP, the Goodman will present six 10-minute works by Marcus Gardley, Tala Manassah, Mona Mansour, Winter Miller, Dominique Morisseau, Dan O’Brien, Quetzel Flores and A. Rey Pamatmat as part of a March 3 production of “Facing Our Truth: Short Plays on Trayvon Martin, Race and Privilege.”
Other theater companies that have signed on to present the works this season include the Center Theatre Group of Los Angeles, The Public Theater in New York City, the Mark Taper Forum in Los Angeles and the Woolly Mammoth Theatre Company of Washington D.C.
The 2012 shooting death of 17-year-old Martin in Florida sparked a nationwide debate about race and self-defense. George Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch volunteer at the time, was accused of racially profiling Martin and said he shot the teen to protect himself. Martin was unarmed.
The plays were commissioned by The New Black Fest, a Brooklyn-based company dedicated to supporting African-American playwrights. The Goodman plans to also present six student works written in response to Martin’s death.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- It’s ‘Very Difficult’ for Black Staffers at Fox News - Former NABJ President
- Tracy 'T-Mac' McGrady Launches Mobile HBCU Fundraising Campaign
- Wendy Williams Joins 'Salute Her' Honorees To Kick Off Circle of Sisters Weekend
- Ex-NFLer Warrick Dunn Has Now Gifted 145 Homes to Single Parents
- THE (10-09-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Iyanla Vanzant Interview | Black Hollywood Lives' Conversations (Watch)
- Here’s How the Man Murdoch Calls a 'Real Black President' Will Govern
- Karrueche Says Career Suffering Because Of Chris Brown
- Nicki Minaj Ends Interview After 'Rude' Questions About Drake, Meek Mill
- Fox Orders 3 More Episodes of Morris Chestnut’s ‘Rosewood’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here