*The Goodman Theatre in Chicago is the latest company to join a national effort to stage a night of short plays about the killing of Trayvon Martin.
According to The AP, the Goodman will present six 10-minute works by Marcus Gardley, Tala Manassah, Mona Mansour, Winter Miller, Dominique Morisseau, Dan O’Brien, Quetzel Flores and A. Rey Pamatmat as part of a March 3 production of “Facing Our Truth: Short Plays on Trayvon Martin, Race and Privilege.”
Other theater companies that have signed on to present the works this season include the Center Theatre Group of Los Angeles, The Public Theater in New York City, the Mark Taper Forum in Los Angeles and the Woolly Mammoth Theatre Company of Washington D.C.
The 2012 shooting death of 17-year-old Martin in Florida sparked a nationwide debate about race and self-defense. George Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch volunteer at the time, was accused of racially profiling Martin and said he shot the teen to protect himself. Martin was unarmed.
The plays were commissioned by The New Black Fest, a Brooklyn-based company dedicated to supporting African-American playwrights. The Goodman plans to also present six student works written in response to Martin’s death.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Gil Robertson: The 'African American Film Critics Association Awards' Interview with Kam Williams
- Flavor Flav Pleads No Contest in Vegas DUI Case
- ‘Black-ish’ To Address Police Brutality in Feb. 24 Episode
- J.Lo's 'Shades of Blue' Scores Second Season
- Lamar Sally: ‘Sherri Shepherd Has Made My Life A Living Hell’
- Super Bowl 50: As Seen From Beyonce’s Instagram
- 'Wendy's Style Squad' Coming to BET
- Bills RB LeSean McCoy Scraps With 3 Off-Duty Cops Over Bubbly
- Flavor Flav to Face Vegas Judge in DUI Case
- TV One's 'News Now' Devotes Show to NAACP Image Awards
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here