*The Goodman Theatre in Chicago is the latest company to join a national effort to stage a night of short plays about the killing of Trayvon Martin.
According to The AP, the Goodman will present six 10-minute works by Marcus Gardley, Tala Manassah, Mona Mansour, Winter Miller, Dominique Morisseau, Dan O’Brien, Quetzel Flores and A. Rey Pamatmat as part of a March 3 production of “Facing Our Truth: Short Plays on Trayvon Martin, Race and Privilege.”
Other theater companies that have signed on to present the works this season include the Center Theatre Group of Los Angeles, The Public Theater in New York City, the Mark Taper Forum in Los Angeles and the Woolly Mammoth Theatre Company of Washington D.C.
The 2012 shooting death of 17-year-old Martin in Florida sparked a nationwide debate about race and self-defense. George Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch volunteer at the time, was accused of racially profiling Martin and said he shot the teen to protect himself. Martin was unarmed.
The plays were commissioned by The New Black Fest, a Brooklyn-based company dedicated to supporting African-American playwrights. The Goodman plans to also present six student works written in response to Martin’s death.
- Fox News Anchor Harris Faulkner Sues Hasbro over Toy Hamster
- Porsha Not Pressing Charges Against Cynthia for Stomach Kick
- Venus Williams Graduates from Indiana University
- Chris Bosh’s Baby Mama Reportedly Unable to Afford Bankruptcy Payments
- MTV Says Nicki-Miley Beef 'Unscripted and Real' (Watch it Unedited)
- Cops Enter Wrong House, Kill Dog, Shoot Owner & Fellow Officer (WATCH)
- Black Female Celebs Rule Magazine Covers (At Least for Now)
- Rihanna Puts Support Behind Kanye West’s VMA Presidential Bid
- UCLA Footballer Ishmael Adams Robs Uber Driver; Suspended Indefinitely
- Greg King’s 'Postcards Central American Soul Food' is Top L.A. Food Truck
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here