*The Goodman Theatre in Chicago is the latest company to join a national effort to stage a night of short plays about the killing of Trayvon Martin.
According to The AP, the Goodman will present six 10-minute works by Marcus Gardley, Tala Manassah, Mona Mansour, Winter Miller, Dominique Morisseau, Dan O’Brien, Quetzel Flores and A. Rey Pamatmat as part of a March 3 production of “Facing Our Truth: Short Plays on Trayvon Martin, Race and Privilege.”
Other theater companies that have signed on to present the works this season include the Center Theatre Group of Los Angeles, The Public Theater in New York City, the Mark Taper Forum in Los Angeles and the Woolly Mammoth Theatre Company of Washington D.C.
The 2012 shooting death of 17-year-old Martin in Florida sparked a nationwide debate about race and self-defense. George Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch volunteer at the time, was accused of racially profiling Martin and said he shot the teen to protect himself. Martin was unarmed.
The plays were commissioned by The New Black Fest, a Brooklyn-based company dedicated to supporting African-American playwrights. The Goodman plans to also present six student works written in response to Martin’s death.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Man Who Read Book at Beyonce Concert Explains; Reveals Title
- Video of Prince’s Emergency Landing in Illinois Released (Watch)
- ‘Empire’s’ Trai Byers, Grace Gealey Share Honeymoon Pics from Europe
- Faith Evans, Eric Benet, Aloe Blacc Added to Prince Tribute in L.A.
- Adele Stops Her Concert to Praise Beyonce; Calls Her ‘Jesus F***ing Christ’ (Watch)
- Why You Suddenly Heard Prince Music on ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ and ‘Scandal’
- 7-Year-Old Girl Wins Handwriting Competition With No Hands
- Blac Chyna, Rob Kardashian Confirm Pregnancy with Baby Bump Emoji
- Elise Neal, Eriq LaSalle Join Hugh Jackman in ‘Wolverine 3’
- La La Anthony, Monica Calhoun, Yvette Nicole Brown Join BET’s 'New Edition: The Movie'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here