Aware of the criticism, the film director addressed the negative feedback as well as the success of “12 Years” on “The Arsenio Hall Show.”
Among McQueen’s film critics is Armond White, who labeled the movie “torture porn” and later heckled the filmmaker as he accepted the best director award at the New York Film Critics Circle Awards. White was reportedly heard calling McQueen “an embarrassing doorman and garbage man.” In addition, the CityArts movie critic also screamed, “F**k you. Kiss my a**.”
Although he reportedly chose not to acknowledge White’s outburst at the time , Hall brought up the outburst while getting McQueen’s thought’s on such critiques of his Golden Globe award-winning film.
“It’s one of those things when where you make a movie like this, your going to get a lot of things thrown at you and because this kind of film hasn’t been made before,” McQueen said. “I wanted to give a real portrayal of slavery. Why hasn’t it been done before? I don’t know.”
“I think now people are willing to engage and look at a history, possibly for the first time in a way that they haven’t done before,” he added.
Below is Arsenio’s interview with Steve McQueen:
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Angela Simmons Confirms Pregnancy: 'We Are Overjoyed'
- How to Start Your Own Online Casino
- Was Prince Better than Hendrix? Only if He Crosses the Entertainment Divide
- Alexandra Shipp & the 'X-Men: Apocalypse’ Cast in the Big Apple
- Savion Glover's Feet Perform Magical Feats
- Keke Palmer Said to be Replacing Tamar Braxton on 'The Real?' (Report)
- First Look: Cynthia Bailey's New Luxury Luggage Line 'CARGO by Cynthia Bailey'
- The Pulse of Entertainment: MBK’s Glory2Glory Presents Livre’, ‘Jericho: Tribe of Joshua’
- Whitney Houston Estate in Court Fighting $11 Million Tax Bill
- 107-Year-Old Trades Dance Partner Pres. Obama for Dusty Baker (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here