According to The Hollywood Reporter, a recent study from the Motion Picture Association of America found a significant increase in African-American attendance at movie theaters last year.
The MPAA estimates that more than 170 million African-Americans went to the movies in 2013, a 13 percent increase from 2012 as well as the first major year for year increase since 2009.
The surge is good, but wasn’t enough to top Hispanics as the minority group with the most purchasing power at the box office. The group ruled at the top spot with 25 percent of ticket sales, a fact that didn’t go unnoticed by National Association of Theatre Owners chairman-president John Fithian.
“Last year, I addressed the need to appeal to diverse audiences. Here again, we see progress,” he said this week at CinemaCon in Las Vegas. “The year 2013 in the U.S. brought the highest-grossing Spanish-language movie of all time with ‘Instructions Not Included.'”
“Perhaps even more telling, more movies in 2013 featured more black actors in important roles that drove more patrons to the theaters,” Fithian added. “That’s why we saw substantial growth in moviegoing for African-Americans and other minorities.”
More African-Americans at the theaters wasn’t the only highlight last year. 2013 also saw more movies focusing on black history and the black experience. Evidence of this was found in Steve McQueen’s “12 Years a Slave,” which, according to Box Office Mojo, grossed more than $56 million in ticket sales domestically to go with an additional $116 million worldwide.
For more on the surge of African-American movie attendance in 2013, click here.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Donald Sterling Spotted Cursing Out Girlfriend at LA Restaurant
- Tyler Perry Reveals ‘Future Home of Tyler Perry Studios’ (Pic)
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation Offers A YEAR of 'Paid Leave' for New Moms and Dads
- Melanie Liburd Joins ‘Game of Thrones’ as The Red Priestess
- Rihanna Hosts Art Gallery Reveal of New Album Cover & Title (Pic)
- Michelle Obama Will Appear on Disney's 'Doc McStuffins'
- Fox News’ Rupert Murdoch Suggests Obama Isn’t a ‘Real Black President’; Apologizes Amid Backlash
- Michel’le Gets Personal with Thinkfactory for New BioPic Partnership
- RECAP: Empire (S2, Ep3) Fires of Heaven
- Matt Barnes and Derek Fisher Reportedly Brawl Over Gloria Govan
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here