*A warrant is still out for Anita Baker’s arrest, but that hasn’t stopped the singer from talking to TMZ.
As previously reported, the warrant was issued in Detroit after the Grammy-winner failed to show up in court over a dispute with a home contractor.
Anita tells TMZ she hired Ray Smith Painting and Decorating in 2009 to repair the outside of her home, which was damaged by a storm. The cost of the job was $75,000, and she paid $60,000 up front.
Anita says the guy never finished the job and the spackling he did do was so inadequate that she had to get on a ladder and finish it herself.
The singer says she had no idea the contractor had the nerve to file suit for the $15,000 balance, because she never got served with legal papers. When Baker was a no-show in court, the judge entered a default judgment. She says still had no idea a case had even been filed.
Fast forward to July, 2013. The contractor tried to haul Anita into court and grill her about where she kept her money, so he could go after it to satisfy the judgment. The contractor claims he slapped the notice on her front door. Anita tells TMZ she was on tour and never saw a notice and doesn’t believe it was ever placed there.
So Anita was a no-show again for that hearing, and on Wednesday the judge issued the arrest warrant.
Anita tells TMZ she’s in shock, saying, “I’ve never been in trouble with the law. I’m terrified.”
She also says this isn’t the first time someone has pulled this on her — someone claiming to serve her with legal papers and then losing the case by default.
Anita’s lawyer says he’s going to court next week to get the warrant lifted and the default judgment set aside.
Anita tells TMZ, as far as she’s concerned, “There’s no justice in the justice system.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- EURweb Covers the 'Creed' Movie Premiere (WATCH)
- Jasmyne Cannick: Before Cops Encourage the Public to Snitch Maybe They Should Lead By Example (VIDEO)
- Taye Diggs on ‘Rosewood’ Gig: ‘I Knew It Was Going to Be Fun’
- RECAP: Empire (S2, Ep9) Sinned Against
- Jason Kidd Suspended for Slapping Ball Out of Ref’s Hand (Watch)
- Mariah Carey, Ex-Husband Nick Cannon Spend Thanksgiving Together
- Siri Gives Taraji P. Henson Attitude in New Apple Music Ad
- Provocative New Ebook Details Trump and the GOP’s Race Baiting History and the White House Race
- Put the 'Black' Back in 'Black Friday'
- Kerry Washington Gives Props to her Hubby: ‘The Real Gladiator’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here