*A warrant is still out for Anita Baker’s arrest, but that hasn’t stopped the singer from talking to TMZ.
As previously reported, the warrant was issued in Detroit after the Grammy-winner failed to show up in court over a dispute with a home contractor.
Anita tells TMZ she hired Ray Smith Painting and Decorating in 2009 to repair the outside of her home, which was damaged by a storm. The cost of the job was $75,000, and she paid $60,000 up front.
Anita says the guy never finished the job and the spackling he did do was so inadequate that she had to get on a ladder and finish it herself.
The singer says she had no idea the contractor had the nerve to file suit for the $15,000 balance, because she never got served with legal papers. When Baker was a no-show in court, the judge entered a default judgment. She says still had no idea a case had even been filed.
Fast forward to July, 2013. The contractor tried to haul Anita into court and grill her about where she kept her money, so he could go after it to satisfy the judgment. The contractor claims he slapped the notice on her front door. Anita tells TMZ she was on tour and never saw a notice and doesn’t believe it was ever placed there.
So Anita was a no-show again for that hearing, and on Wednesday the judge issued the arrest warrant.
Anita tells TMZ she’s in shock, saying, “I’ve never been in trouble with the law. I’m terrified.”
She also says this isn’t the first time someone has pulled this on her — someone claiming to serve her with legal papers and then losing the case by default.
Anita’s lawyer says he’s going to court next week to get the warrant lifted and the default judgment set aside.
Anita tells TMZ, as far as she’s concerned, “There’s no justice in the justice system.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Blac Chyna, Rob Kardashian Confirm Pregnancy with Baby Bump Emoji
- Elise Neal, Eriq LaSalle Join Hugh Jackman in ‘Wolverine 3’
- La La Anthony, Monica Calhoun, Yvette Nicole Brown Join BET’s 'New Edition: The Movie'
- DJ Kool Herc Sues HBO’s ‘Vinyl’ for Using His Identity
- Stacii Jae Johnson Writes the Book on Dating Lots of Men
- Former ‘American Idol’ Finalist Rickey Smith Killed in Car Accident
- Ciara Gets Back at Future: She'll Grill Him Under Oath in Court
- Did Katherine Jackson Pressure Janet to Have Baby at 50?
- Not Impressed: Man Reads Book at Beyonce Concert (WATCH)
- White Woman (Samantha Niemann) Sues Diversity Program for 'Discrimination'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here