*A warrant is still out for Anita Baker’s arrest, but that hasn’t stopped the singer from talking to TMZ.
As previously reported, the warrant was issued in Detroit after the Grammy-winner failed to show up in court over a dispute with a home contractor.
Anita tells TMZ she hired Ray Smith Painting and Decorating in 2009 to repair the outside of her home, which was damaged by a storm. The cost of the job was $75,000, and she paid $60,000 up front.
Anita says the guy never finished the job and the spackling he did do was so inadequate that she had to get on a ladder and finish it herself.
The singer says she had no idea the contractor had the nerve to file suit for the $15,000 balance, because she never got served with legal papers. When Baker was a no-show in court, the judge entered a default judgment. She says still had no idea a case had even been filed.
Fast forward to July, 2013. The contractor tried to haul Anita into court and grill her about where she kept her money, so he could go after it to satisfy the judgment. The contractor claims he slapped the notice on her front door. Anita tells TMZ she was on tour and never saw a notice and doesn’t believe it was ever placed there.
So Anita was a no-show again for that hearing, and on Wednesday the judge issued the arrest warrant.
Anita tells TMZ she’s in shock, saying, “I’ve never been in trouble with the law. I’m terrified.”
She also says this isn’t the first time someone has pulled this on her — someone claiming to serve her with legal papers and then losing the case by default.
Anita’s lawyer says he’s going to court next week to get the warrant lifted and the default judgment set aside.
Anita tells TMZ, as far as she’s concerned, “There’s no justice in the justice system.”
- VH1 Orders Stevie J, Joseline Spin-Off; Season 2 of K. Michelle Confirmed
- Emayatzy Corinealdi Talks Role in New Amazon Series ‘Hand of God’
- Amended Lawsuit Mentions ‘White Girl’ Present When Bobbi Kristina Was Found Unconscious
- Tom Joyner: Hurricane Katrina, A Personal Memoir
- Trump Called Miley Cyrus to Say He ‘Loved’ Her Twerk-Filled VMA Performance
- Al Sharpton Trying to Put Positive Spin on MSNBC Timeslot Demotion
- Misty Copeland Dishes on Broadway Debut After Just Six Rehearsals (Video)
- TN Councilman Threatens to Kill ‘Black N****r’ in 911 Call; Swears He’s Not Racist (Listen)
- Tamar Braxton: ‘Ariana Grande Can Sing Her Face Off,’ But She Ain’t No Mariah
- Watch Obama Meet Woman Named Weezy and Break Into ‘Jeffersons’ Theme Song
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here